Backfill before filling with water?

I wouldn't. I had a new pool built last August and it was filled with water before it was backfilled. If you backfill before, you take a chance on it caving in if it rains. We had my pumps going and swimming in it, before it was backfilled. It sure makes it easy to check for leaks. :cool:

You have to do some of the backfilling before adding water to properly stabilize the base of the wall. The two approaches I have seen are leaving the top foot or so of backfill until after water is in, or going right to the top before water. As far as I can tell it seems to be more about scheduling the different sub-contractors, than it has to do with any mechanical/structural issue.

By the by, if you are burying an above ground pool, the rules are different. Their walls are not as strong/stable when pushed from the outside, so no burying before at least some of the water is in (to hold back the weight of the fill).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.