Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backfill before filling with water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Backfill before filling with water?

Im laying out my timeline for my DIY build.

I saw this post below, and it got me thinking. Is it safe to backfill prior to filling with water? It sure seems it would make working in the pool, getting vermiculite, putting int he liner all much easier.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ng-t43402.html
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backfill before filling with water?

I wouldn't. I had a new pool built last August and it was filled with water before it was backfilled. If you backfill before, you take a chance on it caving in if it rains. We had my pumps going and swimming in it, before it was backfilled. It sure makes it easy to check for leaks.
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

We have been building for over thirty years. We have always backfilled before putting vermiculite in. I would sure hate to dig a bucket of gravel out of a brand new vinyl liner.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    We have been building for over thirty years. We have always backfilled before putting vermiculite in. I would sure hate to dig a bucket of gravel out of a brand new vinyl liner.

Do you brace from the inside at all?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

No we don't brace inside. I sent you a pm
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

You have to do some of the backfilling before adding water to properly stabilize the base of the wall. The two approaches I have seen are leaving the top foot or so of backfill until after water is in, or going right to the top before water. As far as I can tell it seems to be more about scheduling the different sub-contractors, than it has to do with any mechanical/structural issue.

By the by, if you are burying an above ground pool, the rules are different. Their walls are not as strong/stable when pushed from the outside, so no burying before at least some of the water is in (to hold back the weight of the fill).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School