Water temp sensor - where?

Sep 18, 2012
Lake Nona, Florida
My water temp sensor is was not installed by any of my subs and it looks easy enough. The instructions said to put it at the pump inlet but I'm not sure I can make it reach. The pool guy (who pointed out the dangling sensor) said it was fine to put it on the pump outlet.

For temps reading I figured that was OK/fine... and I was about to drill a hole. But then I got to thinking and wondering if those things are designed for pressure or if they are better under vacuum. Eg, is it more prone to leak on the pump outlet?

... but then I figure if these things are OK on the outlet of a solar array there could be comparable pressures over there?

Any advice on these? I hate putting holes in plumbing that's not leaking...

You can put it on suction or pressure side, but should be upstream from the filter. Best place IMO is between the pump and the filter. If there is ever a problem with it leaking, i would rather have it leak out water (pressure side) than have it leak, or draw air into the system, which would have the potential for the pump to loose prime/run dry.

Fyi, the solar temp sensor is usually just placed on the roof by the panels, it is not actually in the plumbing measuring water temp.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
Fyi, the solar temp sensor is usually just placed on the roof by the panels, it is not actually in the plumbing measuring water temp.

We just contracted a solar guy and he said the same thing. I guess this sensor is supposed to help make sure you are not actually cooling water you intend to heat? Still learning about solar...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.