Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water temp sensor - where?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water temp sensor - where?

My water temp sensor is was not installed by any of my subs and it looks easy enough. The instructions said to put it at the pump inlet but I'm not sure I can make it reach. The pool guy (who pointed out the dangling sensor) said it was fine to put it on the pump outlet.

For temps reading I figured that was OK/fine... and I was about to drill a hole. But then I got to thinking and wondering if those things are designed for pressure or if they are better under vacuum. Eg, is it more prone to leak on the pump outlet?

... but then I figure if these things are OK on the outlet of a solar array there could be comparable pressures over there?

Any advice on these? I hate putting holes in plumbing that's not leaking...
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water temp sensor - where?

You can put it on suction or pressure side, but should be upstream from the filter. Best place IMO is between the pump and the filter. If there is ever a problem with it leaking, i would rather have it leak out water (pressure side) than have it leak, or draw air into the system, which would have the potential for the pump to loose prime/run dry.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    ...rather have it leak out water (pressure side) than have it leak, or draw air into the system, which would have the potential for the pump to loose prime/run dry.
    Perfect! That makes sense too.
    The lead will route perfectly to the line between the pump outlet and filter.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Fyi, the solar temp sensor is usually just placed on the roof by the panels, it is not actually in the plumbing measuring water temp.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Fyi, the solar temp sensor is usually just placed on the roof by the panels, it is not actually in the plumbing measuring water temp.
    We just contracted a solar guy and he said the same thing. I guess this sensor is supposed to help make sure you are not actually cooling water you intend to heat? Still learning about solar...
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa