Leak from sand filter clamp area. Just installed new 0ring

Feb 7, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have a SP0714T Multi Valve on top of my sand filter. A few days ago I noticed there were two streams of water coming from where the screws/nuts meet on the clamp that holds the multi valve to the actual filter. I went to the local pool store and bought a new o-ring came home, cut the three pvc lines off cleaned all the surfaces, installed the brand new o-ring which I first lubed up with Magic Lube...put it all back together and now I am still getting two streams of water from where the band clamps meet???

There are no holes in the filter or anything like that. Is it possible that I may have OVER tightened it now? Do these band clamps wear down over time (not allowing them to provide the same pressure)?

Any other ideas before I tear this all apart again?

Thanks very much in advance!!

Re: Leak from sand filter clamp area. Just installed new 0ri

What filter pressure is our gauge showing? Does it still leak if you set the valve to recirculate?

Sounds like you did everything right. I'd remove it and clean the surfaces well then relube and reinstall the valve. Check the sealing surface of the vessel and the valve really well for tiny cracks. You did install unions when you had it cut out didn't you? :)

I am away from the pool right now, I will have to check the gauge when I get back home. I will also try it on recirculate to see what happens.

YES...I did install unions!!! I was very close to re-gluing the pipes again...that would have been a BIG mistake.

I did notice that I rotated the clamp 90 degrees when I put it all back together and it seems the streams/leaks followed the clamps. The streams are still where the clamps come together at the screws/nuts??? This is really strange.

I checked and cleaned all the surfaces VERY well. I don't understand what I missed and why the streams "moved" now when I intsalled the band clamps 90 degrees rotated??

If all else fails, you might try replacing the band...they can get worn over time and corrosion, etc...can effect the threads on the screw and it's ability to tighten.

The leak following the splits isn't surprising. It just means it's most likely leaking at the top of the ring and running around the clamps till it finds the split and running out. I'd inspect the valve carefully with a light to make sure there's not a crack. Look to see if you can tell where the water is coming from.

Ok, folks....when I got back home I fired the pump on again and after a few minutes there was gushing water all over the place!!!. I immediately shut it down. Apparently there was now a 4" or so long crack in one of the band clamps and water was literally shooting out the side.

I went and got a new set of the band clamps and this time I tightened each of the screws/nuts way less than before and now there is zero leak!! I'm guessing the band clamps were just worn out/stretched and no matter how tight I clamped it was just not right. Working perfect now with a new set of clamps.

Thanks for all the input and replies. Much appreciated!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.