Does this lateral hub have 3/4" pipe threads?

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
The lateral hub in my old American Products 24" sand filter was pretty badly cracked when I had it open last year. I have all new laterals which I want to install but I really need to replace the hub this time.

Problem is the original part is obsolete. The two pictures below are a hub (P/N 154763) for a Pentair Triton II. If the threads for the laterals are 3/4" pipe then I think I can make that work just fine.

Anyone know if 3/4"NPT is the thread size for the 8 holes in that hub?

154763_image_1.jpg
154763_image_2.jpg

Thanks,

Gregg

I ended up buying the hub and unfortunately it was tapped 1/2" NPT at the lateral positions. I had already bought new laterals that were 3/4" NPT - they were a steal on eBay , 8 for $30. I drilled out the hub and tapped the 8 locations with 3/4" NPT. All is good, and you can see top and bottom pictures of the completed lateral assembly below. (By the way that reflection in the water is something rarely seen in Seattle!)

I have another question someone might be able to shed some light so here's a little background first.

My sand filter is very old, it looks to be an early model Sandpiper and has a nice solid stainless steel housing which seems like it would last forever with periodic maintenance/updates. Online parts drawings for 24" Sandpipers show a style with a necked down top housing section. Mine has a full diameter top section but in all other respects it appears identical to online parts diagrams.

The hub/lateral assembly is bolted to the bottom of the housing where it sits over the return port feeding out the bottom and back to my Multiport (also an antique). On the inside, coming up from the hub is a little tube which goes through a hole in the top spray head. This appears to be an internal air bleed line that I'm guessing is intended to vent air trapped inside the hub, so it can make its way to the top of the housing. I'm thinking it makes an easy path for air to bypass the sand layer which would prevent any "explosive" decompression events from disturbing the sand or possibly damaging the laterals. It may have had a miniature check valve on the end of the tube at one time but that's disappeared long ago and the filter seems to work fine without whatever kind of valve it was. (The tube is item #10 in the parts diagram below and although it's actually one piece with the hub. I think it's shown separately so you could buy a replacement if you broke it off accidentally)

So my question is, in my new lateral assembly, should I duplicate this internal vent line - if that's what it is - or is it unnecessary and can be ignored - and am I guessing right as to its purpose?

Thanks!

Lat_assy_top_view.jpg

Lat_assy_bot_view.jpg

24in_sand_filter.jpg

Sand_filter_parts_diagram.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.