Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OT: Air Blower problem

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

OT: Air Blower problem

I am having an issue with my hot tub. I manage several pools at a hotel, and have multiple hot tubs. When the air blower is turned off there is still air getting shot out of the return jets. When the blower is off, I closed the return valve for the air line, and the bubbles stop, so I know its not a suction leak on the filter system. I can feel slight suction on the intake of the air blower pipes. There is also no power going to the blower when the timer is turned off. I have an Ametek DR505AW58M spa blower. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing the air suction when the blower is off?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OT: Air Blower problem

The jets create a venturi effect and draw air in even when the blower is off. A lot of systems don't even have a blower, they just have an air inlet pipe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Is there any kind of valve that can be used to stop it sucking air through while the blower is off? I have another outdoor hot tub that has the same blower on it, but completely stops the air in the jets when the blower is off.

4. Back To Top    #4

You could add an actuator to the return air line and have it close by relay when the blower isn't running.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit