Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorox Bleach: Chlorine: Why PB said Not to use

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorox Bleach: Chlorine: Why PB said Not to use

The service man from PB came by today to startup the SWCG for the first time and the Chlorine was already 3.2 and pH was 7.5. He asked my son what product we were using and my son said Clorox, and Muriatic Acid. The Pool Tech said no you are not using Clorox. He said that since the container did not say for pool use then it would void the warrantee if something goes wrong. So my son told him that we used chlorine and he was happy. We bought the liquid Clorox 8.25% at SAMs. We had also added a couple of 3" pucks to the skimmer. On this forum it is suggested to use Clorox. I told my son that the Pool Tech had just added 11 sacks of salt (NaCl) to the pool the day before and Clorox was Sodium Hypoclorite (NaClO) which was much better than using Calcium Hypochlorite (CaOCl) in a salt water pool. The Chorine is now 5.0 so I guess the generator is working. We reduced the setting from 60% to 20% on the Pentair IC60 for the rest of the night and will check the chlorine level again tomorrow.
    Why would the PB not want me to use Clorox?
    Isn't Chlorine Chlorine?
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorox Bleach: Chlorine: Why PB said Not to use

I would guess because they don't sell it, but that would be just a dig... The quality of the responses on this forum is rather impressive on their knowledge.
    24k Gallon, Plastered in ground pool with attached spa
    Pentair 420 cartridge filter with 3HP variable speed Pentair 011018
    Solar panels
    EasyTouch8 with IC40 salt cell
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mhoy
    I would guess because they don't sell it
    Yup.

And in general it seems that many pool professionals do not actually understand the chemistry.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Why would the PB not want me to use Clorox?
    I can't address his motivation (it's usually ignorance, but not always) but liquid chlorine (bleach) is absolutely fine for pools. It contains none of the often troublesome side effects of other forms.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

They might try to void the warranty, but you would own them in court.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll say +1 for ignorance.

7. Back To Top    #7

He is probably just being extra cautious. Many products say something like:

"It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

However, you can show him this information from Clorox:

This product is a 6.0% sodium hypochlorite solution, containing approximately 5.7% available chlorine by weight. The purity of its ingredients and the carefully supervised process of its manufacture make this product a quality source of chlorine for water treatment in swimming and wading pools. This product is especially suitable for use in chlorinators as it is a liquid and has no insoluble particles. This product is widely used as a source of chlorine for swimming pool sanitation and does not have any adverse effects on materials used in pool construction including swimming pool liners.
    http://www.clorox.com/pdf/5813-50_service-bulletins.pdf
    Furthermore, Clorox is registered with the EPA for use in swimming pools, as shown here:
    http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Pro ... _NR=005813

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You can use Clorox but why are you? You do not need to add the 3" pucks or Clorox at all. The SWCG creates your chlorine for you. The only time you need to add chlorine is when the level drops below the minimum which would be after a debris filled storm or pool party and shocking is necessary.
    Inground Concrete Pool With Fiberglass Walls (20,000 Gallons), Hayward .75 Super Pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ush
    You can use Clorox but why are you?
    They have a new concrete pool, which needs to allow the plaster to cure for 30 days before adding salt. Now that the salt has been added, the SWG should be able to keep up. If the chlorine does get behind, then shocking with liquid chlorine is a good choice.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Oh I didn't see his other thread. True
    Inground Concrete Pool With Fiberglass Walls (20,000 Gallons), Hayward .75 Super Pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40

11. Back To Top    #11

Don't put pucks in via skimmer. When the pump is off the acid level rises in the skimmer and that high acid concentration is not good for the equipment. Better to use a floater for this temporary need.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, the PB sent one of his employees to my house to give me and my family Pool School and he did mention that some people use liquid chlorine. He did not say the word Clorox but in my mind that was a stamp of approval? He checked the water chemistry and said that everything was nearly perfect. When he left he said that in all the years he had been giving Pool School that we were the most knowledgeable family that he instructed on pool chemistry and care. By the way, we do use the App Pool Calculator. I give thanks to this forum for a fine education.
    21,500 gal sport pool, 8' spa, beach, 400k btu LP heater, Pentair IC60 SWG & #300 Tablet Feeder, 60 sqft DE filter, Paramount in-floor PoolValet 3 cleaners, Debris Canister, Polaris 360, Pentair VFD 3hp pump, IntelliPh, Geysers & Turbo Twister Slide w/1 hp pump, Color LED Pool & Spa lights, E-Z Touch8 control system, Wireless controller. Test Kits:TF-100, Taylor K-1004, CYA K-1720, Phosphate K-1106, Salt Water K-1766, Hach CN-39WR.

13. Back To Top    #13

The pool app is an incredible tool, don't know what I'd have done without it.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list