Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Octagon spa that spills into pool 8ft across by 5 ft.

1. Back To Top    #1

Octagon spa that spills into pool 8ft across by 5 ft.

I have a 8 ft across 5ft back octagon spa that will spill into my pool. Is that too small of a size since it is an octagon shape

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Octagon spa that spills into pool 8ft across by 5 ft.

Now that the cement has been put in it looks too small. Across the 8 ft is fine. The five foot back is a little tight. This is half of an octagon. 4 jets. 250 btu heater. Pentair cartridge filter. Not sure of the other inf. pipes are 2 in PVC I think. Any feedback is apprecated

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    Any chance you can post a picture? I'm having a hard time picturing in my head what you mean.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Tried to post a pic but I don't see it on here

5. Back To Top    #5

This is the pic after the cement was poured. Worried about leg room.[attachment=1:3apy71pv]image.jpg[/attachment:3apy71pv]
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

They came and chiseled some of the steps back.. They said they were too wide. Still afraid of size but think it looks a lot better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry about the triple posts, I am just figuring out how to upload pics to this site

8. Back To Top    #8

Looking at my paperwork this is what I am getting filter type pentair 1504 sq. ft. 200. Pump type VS + SURS. HP Variable. Heater BTU 250. Type LP.

9. Back To Top    #9

My spa looks very similar to yours although it is barrel shaped. Mine is too small - yours looks a little more roomy. Someone once said that spas should be oval or horseshoe shaped so as to avoid the legroom problem you refer to.
    Having said this, we don't use our spa a ton, and we're happy with it. It's handles 4-5 people fine - any more than that and it gets cozy. Again, we don't use it a ton, and when we do, we're in it for no more than 30 minutes.

SF
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for your input. They asked us if we wanted to break into the pool and extend the other have of the octagon since before they chiseled the steps it appeared so small now with the steps chiseled is doesn't seem to bad. Afraid is we extend then it will be too big

11. Back To Top    #11

By steps I mean the seats, sorry about that. My pool is a rectangle 16,000 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

What is "small" to one person might not be to another...it comes down to how many people do you think will want to use the spa at the same time? You can probably fit 5 or so in there comfortably, similar to CombatYoga above. If you're anticipating more people, I don't think extending the rest of the octagon would make it too big, but it would probably be a major undertaking. And quite expensive, I would imagine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes we just found out it would not be structurally okay to do that to the existing pool. I am kinda glad I didn't have to think about that anymore. I am glad they took care of the benches, I think the room is fine now. Now I am concerned about the heater and pump being okay for the changes we are making

14. Back To Top    #14

Feel free to post any other questions you have about your build! We can help you sort it out