Happy Winter!! Freezing and yucky here, but it's warming up. Hitting the mid 50's as of late and the 4"+ thick ice shelf in my pool melted for the 1st time in over a month. YAAAYY!!
In the meantime, I had a question for chemgeek or any of the other uber chemistry geeks that float in and out of here. In fact, it's really for everyone too, as there's plenty to chime in on here. Tub water volume, who's heard of this, done it maybe? Yadda yadda. So chime away happy pool campers.
My Dr. wants me to take bleach baths 1x/mo.
I thought, hey, that's cool! It has been established here that chlorine is quite good for eczema. So I'm game. I was already looking forward to spending more time in the pool come summer, just for this alone even. Kind of an excuse to get out in it and spend more money on it.
But here's the rub, she wants me to use 1/2cup in my bathwater & soak for 15min, then rinse.
Well, I don't have a big, fancy house, it's little, but it's mine.
So no whirlpool tub or anything, plus, I'm assuming this formula is for the average tub size that has been around for ages. Which doesn't really hold all that much, near as I can tell from my research, and not actually metering a fill of my own tub, the standard everyday tub is about 45gal or so, from memory that is. I looked this up months ago for other reasons.
Obviously most of us aren't even going to fill it half full when we soak, maybe about a 1/3 full. So that's 4oz of 6% bleach to 15 gal of tap water. Which already has "some" monochloramines in it.
Poolcalc says that's 129ppm of CL. With no stabilizer... THAT'S A BOATLOAD OF CHLORINE!!!!
Is that safe for 15min?
I mean I know I'm not going to die, or melt my skin off, or probably have toxic after effects on my body, or get a headache, respiratory damage or pass out from vapor inhalation or anything like that.
But, *Italian voice* That's-ada loooda bleach!!!!
In case your wondering, I don't really mind saying as it's all in the name of science anyway.
It's to kill what's apparently the Staphylococcus bacteria on my skin, causing problems with my sub-dermal acne. GRR
From what I have read, it has to be pretty darn strong in order for it to kill it off.
Thoughts on this? Anyone done this?
It's not so much that I'm NOT going to do it, Dr's orders ya know. But it still freaks me out a bit, throws up some red flags if ya know what I mean.
One website claims that's less chlorine than you'd come in contact with in a swimming pool. Apparently they can't do math. LOL