Anyone install a booster pump b4?

marty

Jul 10, 2012
CA
Is there a way to check if wires are 110 or 230 with a auto multimeter?

The old pump is ancient and says on label 110/230 . New polaris booster pump that has option as 110 or 230, but not sure what voltage to wire on side of pump

One way is to see what type of breaker the wires are coming off of.

IF things were wired correctly, you should be able to tell based on the wire color ... but that has risk.

230V will measure as 115 V between each line and ground and 230V between the lines. Obviously 115V should measure as 115V between the hot and ground or neutral.

Of course if you are not familiar with the residential wiring, might want to consider hiring someone.

Is the breaker just the yellow on/off switch with 2 20amp round fuses... ?
(below timer box)

Can you tell by looking at videos? Hey Thanks again Jason!!! :cheers:

[youtube:3mmzd62q]JvDe2TcMpPM[/youtube:3mmzd62q]

[youtube:3mmzd62q]GwHYBHqdUMc[/youtube:3mmzd62q]

Well I can not see it in your videos, but it sounds like you may have an old fuse subpanel at the pool equipment like I do. If the motor is run off of both of the fuses, then it is likely 230V, but it may only run off of one and the other may be for other equipment.

You just have to measure the voltage at the motor or trace the wire paths.

So there are 2 20 amp fuses, what your saying is that 110volts are running through each fuse( one for booster the other for filter pump)

Booster pump came wired 230 from factory, i think im goin to swap wires to 110 according to directions on pump label and call it a day.

Thanks buddy!

No that is not what I am saying. It could be as you described. Or the pump could be running off of both the fuses and be 230v ... that is what mine does.

I would suggest you call someone in to help you in person if possible before you burn out your new motor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Assuming that is the only source of power in the equipment room, that is likely, but don't want damage to occur if that is not true for some reason.

My house had some interesting DIY electrical that I have had to work to straighten out.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Well called 3 pool company's only 1 called back, said closest to comeout is in march.

The pump was working then just one day didnt come on, so i had power then, just thought pump finally died...

I get 171 volts on each of the 2 wires to filter pump, but nothing at booster pump, could the wires be damaged? *bangs head*

[youtube:2ouqbmnp]1WaDOnf9L5A[/youtube:2ouqbmnp]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.