Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebar from gunite to deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rebar from gunite to deck?

Hi, I am getting bids on a new pool build in Austin, Texas and am curious about the practice of having rebar from the gunite shell extend into the deck. It appears to be done in most posts that I see in the forum, but it was not done on my previous pool build (2001). Is this a standard practice now and is it important?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Rebar from gunite to deck?

It is done both ways. Which way varies mostly by what region of the country you are in. Around where I am you never connect the deck to the pool, there is always an expansion joint, generally foam and caulk. But in some places, where there is a lot of ground movement, the deck would shift too much relative to the pool if they were separate, so they are connected together.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it and thanks for the reply!

4. Back To Top    #4

Dripping Springs, TX

Hi Sailor,

I live just outside of Austin. Our shifting ground around here dictates that you should extend rebar from gunite into your surrounding decking.
    My next door neighbor is an architect and also recommended wrapping the rebar in felt. My research showed this was more important for heavier structures, but it was cheap to do.

17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

5. Back To Top    #5

Attaching rebar from the pool shell to the patio is never a good idea, especially when the soils are unstable or expansive.

The pool shell is like a footing in that it doesn't move vertically or horizontally. A poured patio is subject to both horizontal and vertical movement from expansion/contraction and soil movement. When you tie the two together something will have to break.