Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy pool after metal treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Cloudy pool after metal treatment

Hi All

I did a copper treatment on an 63,000 gallon indoor pool by neutralizing the chlorine and adding Ascorbic acid, then added metal free to get it out of the pool. The pool was fine for a day and a half, I didn't raised the chlorine out of fear to activate the metals in the water again, the pool then turned bluish cloudy.

Chlorine = .5
    PH = 7.0

I backwash the filter and added a floc to the pool, what steps should I take from here to get it clear?

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy pool after metal treatment

That is very common and not a big deal. The cloudiness usually goes away on it's own in one to three days. Run the pump 24/7 to get as much filtering as possible until the water clears up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Should I increase the liquid chlorine feed to bring chlorine up or leave it alone until it clears up

4. Back To Top    #4

Some of the manufacturers of stain removers using ascorbic acid recommend waiting a week to add chlorine after treatment. I'd go with that just to be on the safe side.

5. Back To Top    #5

You don't want to increase the FC level at all quickly after an ascorbic acid treatment. If you are worried about algae you should use an algaecide. We recommend using a polyquat based algaecide when doing an AA treatment. Our guideline is to wait 24 hours after using ascorbic acid, and then to increase the FC level by 1 per day until you are back at your normal level.

The stain removal will usually cloud up the water. The low FC level required for an AA treatment means you might get algae, which can also cloud up the water. At first there isn't any way of telling them apart. Hopefully you just have the normal metal treatment cloudiness, and not an algae problem. Regardless, you can't do anything about algae, if you have any, right now because that would cause the stains to come back.

Remember that you need to add more sequestrant now and again, as chlorine will slowly break it down. See the sequestrant package for suggested maintenance dosages.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School