Recommendations on raising pool floor

Jul 24, 2012
Colleyville, TX
We have a +/- 17,000 gallon pool that has a deep end depth of about 7 feet. I really want a pool that can be fully utilized, so as part of our remodel we are having the PB's bid to raise the floor and create a play pool. I've talked to four companies so far and the recommendations are split 50/50 on this process. Two say it needs to be filled with gunite, two say concrete. It seems that this type of remodel is fairly rare, but all of the builders say they have done it at least a few times.

So, does anyone have recommendations on which material needs to be used? Any risks of going with concrete and rebar? Is using gunite a must? We want our remodel done right, so I'm hoping I can open up this discussion and get some help from you guys as we decide on a company to complete the job.

Thanks

I understand gunite is concrete with subtle differences between the two. Since I currently have a gunite pool, is it mandatory that I use gunite or will standard concrete work? Maybe I'm over thinking this, just make sure it is done the right way. I don't want to have any issues in the future with the new joints in my pool floor.

ctaylor81 said:
I understand gunite is concrete with subtle differences between the two. Since I currently have a gunite pool, is it mandatory that I use gunite or will standard concrete work? Maybe I'm over thinking this, just make sure it is done the right way. I don't want to have any issues in the future with the new joints in my pool floor.

This may be oversimplified but here's an explanation of Gunite vs. Concrete:
http://www.ehow.com/info_12138295_gunit ... crete.html

This may be better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotcrete
Scroll down to the section on Shotecrete vs. Gunite if you want to get the details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.