Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations on raising pool floor

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations on raising pool floor

We have a +/- 17,000 gallon pool that has a deep end depth of about 7 feet. I really want a pool that can be fully utilized, so as part of our remodel we are having the PB's bid to raise the floor and create a play pool. I've talked to four companies so far and the recommendations are split 50/50 on this process. Two say it needs to be filled with gunite, two say concrete. It seems that this type of remodel is fairly rare, but all of the builders say they have done it at least a few times.

So, does anyone have recommendations on which material needs to be used? Any risks of going with concrete and rebar? Is using gunite a must? We want our remodel done right, so I'm hoping I can open up this discussion and get some help from you guys as we decide on a company to complete the job.

Thanks
    +/- 17,000 gallon IG gunite pool & spa; Mini pebble; Oklahoma flagstone; Water feature; Pentair catridge filter; Pentair MiniMax 75 heater (replacing in the future, too small); Dolphin DX4 Robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations on raising pool floor

Gunite is concrete. It differs in the way it is applied, but it is the same stuff.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I understand gunite is concrete with subtle differences between the two. Since I currently have a gunite pool, is it mandatory that I use gunite or will standard concrete work? Maybe I'm over thinking this, just make sure it is done the right way. I don't want to have any issues in the future with the new joints in my pool floor.
    +/- 17,000 gallon IG gunite pool & spa; Mini pebble; Oklahoma flagstone; Water feature; Pentair catridge filter; Pentair MiniMax 75 heater (replacing in the future, too small); Dolphin DX4 Robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I'm pretty sure cold joints don't exist with gunite.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylor81
    I understand gunite is concrete with subtle differences between the two. Since I currently have a gunite pool, is it mandatory that I use gunite or will standard concrete work? Maybe I'm over thinking this, just make sure it is done the right way. I don't want to have any issues in the future with the new joints in my pool floor.
    This may be oversimplified but here's an explanation of Gunite vs. Concrete:
    http://www.ehow.com/info_12138295_gunit ... crete.html

This may be better:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotcrete
    Scroll down to the section on Shotecrete vs. Gunite if you want to get the details.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump