How to tell if your 3 HP relay is bad and how to replace it?

cjmrdm

Feb 1, 2013
Peoria Arizona
Pool Size
Our pool has stopped working. I went out one day and the Polaris EOS automation system screen was blank. I went to the circuit board and switched on and off the breakers and it came back on. This was strange in itself. SO, I am still not able to turn on the poo or spa pump. I can manually turn on the jets to the spa. So, I did some researching and I am desperate to fix it myself. We had a lot of rain when this happened. So, either both pumps are fried or I am thinking maybe it is the 3HP relay.

Anyone have any advice? Is this a possibility? Does this sound like the issue?

How hard is this to replace ourself? Can anyone guide me on how to do this or a website or video that may help me.

Re: How to tell if your 3 HP relay is bad and how to replace

Replacing a relay is fairly easy if you have any experience working with line voltage electrical wiring.

However, before working on that, I would double check that the pump circuit breaker(s) are turned on. You needed to reset the circuit breaker for the main panel, so you probably need to reset the circuit breaker(s) for the pumps as well. Turn them all the way off and then back on again and see if that makes any difference.

A lot of times, the breaker for the pump motor is 2 120 breakers tied together and if only one leg trips, it wont look like it has tripped.

Usually, when the relay goes bad it will stick in the on position, and you cant turn it off. If you hear a click in the outdoor panel when turning the motor on, I would confirm there is voltage at the motor.

So, neither the pool nor spa pump work. When I manually click on the pool I hear a click in the box and nothing happens. When I click on the spa one of the levers on a motor turns but then the spa still does not come on.

i do hear a click in the Polaris control panel box when I try to turn the pool on. What does this mean? How do I check for voltage to the pool pump? And, then why would the spa pump not work? That is kind of why I was thinking it was caused by something they are both tied into.

You both mention breakers tripping. Some breaker did trip the first time cause it was blank and I went to the main circuit breaker box. All the breakers looked okay ...and nothing looked tripped. However, I flipped the spa and pool breaker off and on again just because. It worked and the screen came back up.

I am wondering why the Polaris screen was off in the first place. What made the curcuit pop?

One of you mentioned checking the circuit breakers at the main box and at the pumps themselves.
Where are the breakers at on the pump itself and how do I check it?

I had suggested that you check for voltage at the rear of the motor. If you have never done this before, you may want to call a service tech.

Breakers are supposed to trip if the amperage draw through the breaker exceeds the rating on the breaker. Like if the motor is bound(cant spin), or if the breaker itself had a malfunction, a lightning strike, or i have even seen a breaker trip just because it was Tuesday, and not have a problem again.

Since all pumps don't seem to be working?, i still think it may be the main breaker that is half tripped. The Jandy runs on 120v so it does not need 220v like the motors, that may be why you still have automation function Turn the breaker to the off position, then push it off then back on. I don't doubt your ability, but position of breakers can be deceiving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.