Pool maintenance with a solar cover on?

Jun 28, 2011
I got a solar cover last spring and it heated up the pool great, but it was difficult to put bleach in the pool and it did not seem to circulate very well with the cover on. So, my pool became green. We ended up not even putting it back on in the Fall. My pool is irregular shaped (kidney-like) and about 34' long and I think about 24' wide at the widest point, so it is very difficult to pull the cover on and off. then when we would pull it off, we would put it on the grass and it would get dirty. Are there any tricks to using the BBB method with the cover on? How about suggestions of pulling it on and off?

I just pull my cover back some and slowly pour the chemicals next to my return in the deep-end of the pool. My returns point down.

There are a couple of things that can be done for the cover. You can cut the cover into 3 or 4 sections and this would make the cover easier to handle for one person. To keep it off the grass, make something that will support the cover from touching the grass, four little stands should work.

If you have room for a reel, solarcovers.com has some options under $200 that might work. I just got one for this year and it rolls out of the way after you are done with it.

There's no tricks needed really.
I just peel back my solar cover near the return port and add chemicals as dictated by tests, then roll the cover back, simple.
I test every night or every other night depending on conditions.

If the eyeballs are pointed properly and you perform adequate testing, dosing and cleaning their shouldn't be a problem.

Cutting the cover into a couple of peices is an option, so is a roller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.