Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well users - do you filter your well water ...

1. Back To Top    #1

Well users - do you filter your well water ...

Well users - do you filter your well water ... before it goes into your pool ? And if so, What do you filter with / down to ?

In the past my well water is pretty good stuff for filling the pool (pH about 6.7, no nasties to compensate for) - with the exception of fine dust that I use a 5 micron filter for the house and , at least up til now - for my pool as well. Do I really need to filter it that good, or is it ok to bypass the filter for pool filling ?
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well users - do you filter your well water ...

Are you planning to fill your entire pool or just top it off? Our builder said we have a great well but we should never attempt to fill a pool as the risk of running it dry were too great.
    24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!

3. Back To Top    #3

Except when we replaced the liner a couple years ago - we're talking topping it off.

When we did replace the liner - due to some bad timing, the water truck hadn't come when the crew doing the liner was ready. I just started filling the pool - got about 7000 gallons out of my well and 12,000 gallons from the municipal supply from the truck (2 18 wheeler tanker trailers full). I still don't have any water issues.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would not worry about filtering it. But as"blessed" stated, I would worry about it running dry. Around here river water or pond water is often used by the fire depts. to fill pools, also wells. I have never encounteted a problem....other than dirt...from either. But I have seen alot of well pumps burn up and wells bottom out. If you do use your well....leave it at a very low output, or fill for an hour and shut it off, and repeat.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't filter mine. When I first got the pool I had a water sample tested at the pool store. I haven't tested it it with my TF100 kit but don't have any problems with the water. Well is 253' deep. I filled it over a period of days and top off as needed.

My Well Sample:

PH 7
    TDS 100
    CYA 0
    TC 0
    FC 0
    TA 137
    TH 183
    Salt 0
    Borates 15
    Copper 0
    Iron 0
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I use one of those Autofillers that connects using a garden hose - pretty much leave it on all year (except when it is freezing).

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I do not filter mine. No need.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Wells come in all shapes and sizes. You need to know about YOUR well, its chemistry, its pump type and capacity, and its depth, as well as any historical info you can get your hands on. So get a good chemistry analysis and check for any data on file at your local health dept. and forget about other people's wells (outside your immediate area).

My own hilltop well is very atypical, 120 ft deep, drilled in 1937 with a 4" bore into traprock, currently running a .75hp downhole centrifugal pump installed in 1969, puts out water that is below trace on all metals and only about 65 calcium hardness. Technically, it is too SOFT to be drinking water, but we have done fine with it for 75 years. It will pump continuously for 3 days straight with no problem under normal conditions. In droughts, we would never try that but it has never run dry in 75 years. No filter is required and it has filled my current 28k pool twice since 2004.

Some wells you would be well advised to simply not consider for pool filling.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    Wells come in all shapes and sizes. You need to know about YOUR well, its chemistry, its pump type and capacity, and its depth, as well as any historical info you can get your hands on. So get a good chemistry analysis and check for any data on file at your local health dept. and forget about other people's wells (outside your immediate area).

My own hilltop well is very atypical, 120 ft deep, drilled in 1937 with a 4" bore into traprock, currently running a .75hp downhole centrifugal pump installed in 1969, puts out water that is below trace on all metals and only about 65 calcium hardness. Technically, it is too SOFT to be drinking water, but we have done fine with it for 75 years. It will pump continuously for 3 days straight with no problem under normal conditions. In droughts, we would never try that but it has never run dry in 75 years. No filter is required and it has filled my current 28k pool twice since 2004.

Some wells you would be well advised to simply not consider for pool filling.
    I agree with this. Our well was just drilled 2 years ago, new home construction. I specifically asked the well drillers about this, they said filling a pool or yard irrigation would not be a problem as long as we got a certain pump (dont remember what it was though). Basically it was one that would not kick on and off filling a pressure tank, I have no pressure tank the water comes straight from the ground.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG