Gas Line install, drop ceiling

Hello Everyone!

I bought a house in the summer with an sweet in ground pool that this spring (once the ground is soft enough to dig) I'll be having a gas heater installed to help extend the season up here in the snowy Canada.

The house we bought has a basement that they started to finish off but stopped after they put up and drywalled a few walls. No flooring or ceiling... so I was taking that on as a winter project and just finished painting yesterday and was about to install the drop/suspended ceiling today but then I just realized...the gas pipe. (no drywall ceiling as I want access).

Here is my issue. In the summer the local pool company I will be using gave me a quote on a heater install/gas line install. We never went inside the house as he was just looking at the run of pipe needed from the house to the pool shed, but he asked me if my basement was finished which I said no. So I assume is going to be running the pipe from inside the house not from the meter outside. The installer is away for the winter and will be back in March and will be starting up on the project once the ground is ready to bury the pipe is my guess. Anyway, my basement ceiling is fully exposed and now I am rethinking installing my suspended ceiling wondering how much I'll have to take down for them to install the gas pipe.

My meter/inlet into the house is very close to where they would be burying the pipe outside so I was curious but did not ask why the would not just run the pipe around the outside of the house rather than inside. I looked in the basement and where the pipe comes into the house off the meter it runs in about 2 feet in-between to air ducts and goes left towards my furnace. I wonder if they will install a T connection there and go to the right out to my backyard.

Just wondering if I should wait to install the drop ceiling due to how much of a pain it would be to remove some of it so they can the pipe under the joists. Anyone remove a drop ceiling or part of it? Should I wait to install it?

I can take a few pictures of my setup/layout now if it would help the advice. Was hoping to finish the drop ceiling this week and put flooring in the following week. Now I am think I should probably just do the flooring and wait on the ceiling.

Cheers
Brian

Unless it's a code thing as stated above, it seems ridiculous to start inside and run back out and to your equipment. You better check with that installer to get your answer.

Thanks everyone, I am calling the gas tech tomorrow and having him come out to either install it outside(not sure why it has to be indoors) and if it has to be indoors than have him install the pipe to just outside the house so I can finish of the ceiling and the basement.

I painted, installed wall trim or whatever my wife calls it that goes around the room to divide the paint colours and a couple of doors. If I can get him just cap the line outside the house and run the pipe in my ceiling I can finish the room once I "learn" how to install the suspended ceiling.

Btw the heater I am told needs to be minimum 300k btu but preferred 350k, so I need a 1.5" pipe. The heater is a must to get the most out of the pool I hear. The quotes for heater/gas line and install is like $4000-4500 so far...not cheap! but it is longer run to my shed and you have to go under a custom slab of stone.

I would recommend getting the biggest heater you can afford ... usually around 400 btu. It will use the same amount of gas to do the job, but will do it faster. Of course realize that it may need a bigger supply pipe. Might be worth going a little larger on the pipe for future desires ... fire pit, bbq, etc.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Update!

My gas guy is coming Thursday to run the pipe. I'll find out why it needs to be done inside versus outside.

On the heater side I am doing some shopping online and I can afford the larger size 400k BTU heaters. i am having my pool company tell me how much they want to charge me for the heater. if it is more than online I'll order it online. I am having the pool company do all of the work as I don't want to put in the concrete slab in the wrong spot...etc. I'll let the experts do there thing.

He is a great guy, he told me last year to buy most of my stuff online rather than him as it is cheaper. (pool cover, auto-chlorine thingy)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.