Pool Build in Socal moving full steam ahead!! DONE!!!

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
Pool was officially started 1/30/13

A few months ago I made a post about my plans to build my new inground gunite pool in Socal. After getting five quotes, I didn't go with the cheapest, nor the company with nicest brochures. I went with the PB that made me feel I was getting the best value for my dollar. This was after seeing a few pools that were recently built by the pool builder. I was also lucky enough to have a good friend in the concrete trades that had done business with the this PB and had nothing but good things to say about the owner (contractor) and how well organized his jobs were.

So.. this is what we went with. Only changes not in these pictures are the added stamped decking and 12" raised bond beam for the rear half of the pool.

Specifications:
-Socal mild climate w/ pool being open all year
- Upper yard is 60' x 32'
- Pool will be 32' x 19' with a depth of 3.5' -8' of water line, approx. 536sq ft (23,400 gallons after actual meter read)
- 7' diameter spa with spillover into pool w/ 6 adjustable nozzles
- Rock water feature 4' tall x 8' long w/ dedicated pump.
- mini pebble finish (color not chosen yet)
- Pentair Intelliflow VS pump
- Intellichlor SWG IC40
- 400K Master Temp w/ Nickel heat exchanger
- Intelllibrite colored LED's, (2) in pool / (1)spa
- Baja sun shelf w/ umbrella holder and (2) bubbler water features
- Pentair DE 60 FNS Plus filter
- Poured in place stamped concrete coping
- 900 sqft of stamped / colored concrete
- Dedicated cleaner inlet w/ Zodiac MX8
- Automation via Easytouch 8 w/ wireless controller
- Single skimmer w/ (3) return lines

n62hk4.jpg

sn2qg1.jpg

After three days of building, the excavation of the pool is complete, steel rebar installed equipment wall is built. They are starting the rebar forms for the rock water feature today (2/2/13) and most likely working on Sunday to finish if needed (wow.. even on Superbowl Sunday!!)

Here's the war zone after three days!!

Before
155nm9t.jpg

After I cut everything down
2d1qo7k.jpg

First Day
mjxsev.jpg

Re: Pool Build in Socal moving full steam ahead!!

Update for 2/5/2013

Crew has been moving along. The last couple of days they finished the equipment wall, including pouring the equipment pad. They also sawcut my patio concrete to run the gas line for the heater.

Today, the plumbers started digging the trenches and laying in the piping for the spa and gas line. They also delivered all the pool equipment, including the heater, Easytouch 8, Pentair FNS DE filter, Intellichlor and pumps. I'm sure the LED lights are also here.

Builder has been great, showing up every morning to direct the crew and then coming later on before they finish to see the progress and plan for the next day. He believes he can get the plumbing and gas done so it can be inspected by Friday. He then wants to shotcrete the pool on Monday. He said something about finishing the project within the next 4 weeks.

Trench for gas line. Gas company will be out on Monday to upgrade the meter.
17fuph.jpg

Trench along back wall for spa piping
1qq1rc.jpg

Equipment wall
2cz7mua.jpg

Equipment pad
8y4ygh.jpg

Start of the spa piping
1zxw8r6.jpg

I do have one question.. Anyone have a pool builder use Yellow Polyethylene piping for the gas line? They are using 1-1/2" polyethylene piping for the gas. It requires that they use some type of electrofusion machine to make the joints. Just wondering if this is common on runs of 75ft or more.

02/06/13

Quick question about my plumbing manifold, concerning the Pentair Automatic valves.

I wasn't home all day, so I didn't have a chance to talk with the PB or the plumbers. It appears that the plumbers are almost done with the piping of the equipment pad. What concerns me is, the two boxes sitting on the pad in the picture contain my (2) brand new Pentair automatic valves. I'm sure they would work better in the piping system than just sitting in the boxes.... But, I'm not really sure where they would be installed. I guess I can go over this with my PB tomorrow. Does anyone else see something blaring that sticks out as something wrong?

My pool has the following components and features:

- (1) Pentair Intelliflo pump for pool/ spa
- (1) Pentair 2hp whisperflo for rock waterfall and bubblers
- Pool / Spa heater Pentair Mastertemp 400K HD
- Pentair FNS Plus filter
- Three returns
- Spa with six jets
- Pentair Easy Touch with wireless remote
- Intellichlor SWCG IC40
- Dedicated suction line for pool cleaner

Can't figure where I would need them at the moment... mainly because I'm tired from work.

6hs2n4.jpg

300d0ko.jpg

Few updates: 2/15/2013 Tomorrow they are spraying the shotcrete!!! woooohooo...

Everything has been moving smoothly with my pool builder. I'm very happy that even minor things that were brought up during casual conversation (he didn't have a note pad) have been added without having to mention it a second time. We have been held up for week by the city over minor issues, which the pool builder has handled without batting an eye. Apparently the inspector is fairly new and is going line by line in the code book. Instead of making decisions (that make sense), he refers my PB to the planning department to request waivers. At least we only lost a week.

Things that have been done since the last post:

- Old retaining wall was demo'd and new wall put in its place.
- All plumbing and gas lines are complete and currently under pressure (testing).
- Gas company came out and installed a larger meter to supply the pool heater
- More rebar was added to North side of pool per inspector. He believes the street traffic behind house could damage pool without extra support.
- Extra bonding wires were added around pool per inspector.
- Hose bibb and equip pad was put under pressure per inspector.
- Waiver was given by city to have panel within 12" of property line on Equip wall.

That's mainly it.. Tomorrow they are starting the shotcrete at about 7:30am.. so I should have some pics up on Sunday!!!

33u6em9.jpg

2nge9zo.jpg

2qdcqpj.jpg

311s3uq.jpg

11uukux.jpg

20k3prm.jpg

Stay tuned!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Update for 2/18/2013

Guys showed up in full force this morning at about 6:45am. They completed the following.

- completed all wiring, including equipment pad, pool lights and connection to main house panel.

- filled in all the electric, gas and plumbing trenches.

- Rock waterfall complete, minus actual painting of it..

- Grading of yard for deck pretty much done.

- Made cutout in patio to connect rain gutters to underground irrigation drain

Making the rock sculpture
nwnii1.jpg

Complete, minus the concrete staining.. color you see is powder release agent
s66i6u.jpg

Getting there
1zlyfsm.jpg

Completed Equipment pad.. Notice the small details like painted piping
25p25o3.jpg

So.. tomorrow if weather permits (rain expected), they will start building the forms for the poured coping.

Update for 2/20/13

Lost a day due to rain, but yesterday they were back at it in full force. During that time we picked our tile, coping /stamped decking colors, stonescapes mini pebble custom color and possibly our ledger stacked stone for the raised bond beam.

Items completed

- Forms for poured in placed colored concrete coping

- Forms for steps that lead to the upper level of the raised bond beam

- misc. grading of upper level

On Thursday the 21st, they pour the coping and steps.

34o3llw.jpg

295pf6b.jpg

ak96d5.jpg

vx0nlv.jpg

Update for 2-21-13

- Pool/ Spa coping completed
- Raised bond beam steps completed
- Pool / deck finishes chosen

So.. Let me set this up. The coping and stairs were poured today. They used a concrete mix that already had the colorant added before the concrete arrived on sight. The color chosen / used is Kalua by Grace concrete colorants. What you see in the picture is the completed coping and stairs with some kind of acid or protective coating on it. That's why you see a milky white/ bluish tone. I guess they will wash this off in the next day or so. With that said, I think they came out awesome. He made the coping 18" x 3" thick. To me adds the look of solidness. I don't know why, but I just like it.

2yoag48.jpg

2940x9x.jpg

mrny9.jpg

5eyj4n.jpg

34pj05h.jpg

For the finishes we chose the following. For Pool waterline tile we chose a 6" x 6" NPT Verona tile. Its a grey finish with blue mixed in. We figured it would go good with our choice of pebble finish. For the pebble finish, we went with StoneScapes mini pebble in a custom color that the builder came up with. We saw it in a pool when the PB took us to see some of his builds and we really loved the color of the water that the finish gives. For the coping we went with the colors Kalua (chocolate type brown) and Dune for the deck. Both colors come from Grace Colorants. So far we have chosen Harbor Mist type stacked stone ledger for our raised bond beam. Still not a 100% on that one, but I'll know for sure on Saturday when we go look at more samples.

euiuxx.jpg

Update for 2/23/2013

Today was kinda slow on the pool. The only thing that was completed today was the painting of the rock waterfall. I also made my way to the local masonry supply to look at some different ledger stone for the raised bond beam. We might have decided on a travertine stacked stone instead of the harbor mist stone we chose a couple days ago. I also took delivery of a couple items that are going to make my pool much more enjoyable.

This what the coping looks like after it was acid etched.
f56ic0.jpg

6hmd6w.jpg

2rwthd3.jpg

8fhv.jpg

Completed rock waterfall..
t69v87.jpg

wqvn93.jpg

Vision Classic Kamado Grill / Smoker.. Here come the ribs!!
117wftv.jpg

MargaritaVille DM1000 concoction maker!!! Party Time
rh313r.jpg

Updates for 2/25/13:

Today a lot was done around the Pool. For starters, finished putting in my upper pool deck irrigation drains ( 8 in total). They brought in more dirt to do the final grading of the deck, then put in all the rebar. They installed the autofill and ran some extra lines for my sprinklers and lighting. Also, after a weekend of arguing (I mean talking) about the location of the staircase, we decided (my wife) that we would shift the staircase and walkway about 15ft to the left. This would give a straight path from our kitchen sliding doors through the covered the patio up to the pool. It makes more sense, but costs more money. In an effort to save a little cash, I opted to demo the old staircase and concrete path. I started with a big sledge hammer, pick and pry bar. I quickly figured out that this was harder than I anticipated. The stairs were easy enough, but the walkway was 5-6" thick with rebar. No thanks, I made a call to a good friend with a large jack hammer. I'll use that tomorrow to finish the job.

So.. tomorrow the inspector shows up to approve the rebar for the deck. They will also start the tile and stacked stone ledger. On Wed they plan on pouring the deck and completing more of the tile work. The builder still feels that he can finish the pool by next week!!

Location of new 6' wide staircase and walkway
2zpt85g.jpg

Old Staircase and walkway that I'm busting out!!
14cxtzp.jpg

Rebar for new deck
2ii7t5h.jpg

Rebar for upper deck where I'm building my covered Pavilion
34oaj5c.jpg

Updates for 2-27-13

Still moving along. Had inspector come by yesterday to inspect the decking layout. Of course he wanted even more bonding wires, so they had to cancel the decking pour for today and push it back until Thursday. Otherwise, everything seems to be moving smoothly.

Here's what was finished since my last post.

- Framing for new staircase and walkway complete.
- I demo'd the old staircase and walkway and saved a few hundred dollars. Old walkway was 5-6" thick and had wire mesh down the center... fun!! Thank God for friends with jackhammers.
- Extra bonding wires added throughout deck.
- Waterline tile installed in pool & spa. Travertine stacked stone for the raised bond beam is special order, so they are waiting on that to finish the tile.
- Extra PVC piping for sprinklers and low voltage lighting put in under the soon to be decking.

Tomorrow the big pour!!

6ft wide staircase with 14" steps
33127ty.jpg

Blood sweat and tears to get that out
2ptzb04.jpg

NPT 6" water line tile, "Verona"
140jiwk.jpg

3024bb8.jpg

2ef70v4.jpg

w21un4.jpg

34doh2g.jpg

Updates for 3/2/13:

They finished the deck on Thursday the 30th. Still on the fence whether I'm going to seal the decking, because I don't want the color of the concrete to get real dark. Right now it has some surface efflorescense, which gives it a little bit of a chalky look, but it should clear up with a light acid wash. Otherwise, I'm extremely happy with workmanship of the crew and the look of the stamped concrete.

For this week, they are supposed to install the travertine ledger stone on the raised bond beam. Then its pretty much left to making the final connections of the pool heater and then turning on the power to the equipment pad, before the final inspection. That is, if my gate installer gets them installed this week so I can pass the safety portion of the inspection. All that is left after that is installing the plaster, programming the automation and filling the pool with water!!!

Now for the pics!!

Crew hard at work...
ru07xu.jpg

2l8aknr.jpg

30uv1o4.jpg

33emvs3.jpg

2gv4lr9.jpg

2f03wj8.jpg

I didn't think the deck would be that thick...
15p0d9f.jpg

2lw0tab.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.