Pool Build in Socal moving full steam ahead!! DONE!!!

Re: Pool Build in Socal moving full steam ahead!!

Updates for 3-5-2013

Today was a productive day. We went over a list of concerns with our PB. He took care of most of them and / or set a plan to complete the rest.

1. Today they installed the Travertine Stacked Stone on the raised bond beam. We feel it came out pretty good and should look even better once they complete the grout around it.
2. Deck-O-Seal was installed. Within 20 minutes of completion my 95 pound dorky lab found a way to stick his paw in it.. lol. Luckily it was only one of his nails, so my wife fixed it with a popsicle stick and some extra sand they left lying around.
3. Not seen, but they patched my stucco beneath my house power panel. They punched out around the bottom to connect the conduit for the pool sub-panel.
4. Installed caps for our drainage lines in the yard and upper planters.
5. Chipped away concrete between wood fence and concrete deck steps. Extra concrete was causing wood fence to bow outward.
6. We noticed that the stairs and walkway that lead to our upper deck drain downward toward our patio. This was causing water to settle on our current concrete patio right at the edge of new walkway. His current plan is to cut a half in "V" at the end of the walkway, hoping that the water will drain left or right before making it to the patio. If that doesn't work, he will cut bigger slit and install a linear drain. This one is pending, the result of the first fix.

Right now we are just waiting for my New Iron Gates that should be installed by Thursday. The PB can't schedule the final inspection until those go in.

v81uki.jpg

20rl73t.jpg

33pa4c2.jpg

1z15guo.jpg

Notice the stinky pooch waiting for his new pool and the installed Deck o Seal
2a4uw0.jpg

Update 3-9-2013

Gates are done... finally!!! They were supposed to install the code compliant gates on Thursday, but of course rain came from nowhere. That pushed back my final inspection to Monday. Once that is out of the way, they can put in the Stonescapes plaster!! "Light at the end of the tunnel".

2zyvn6x.jpg

2ik4oq0.jpg

Nothing special about the truck... just your run of the mill 2005 F-150 purchased when new. I did add a Rancho leveling kit and wheels/ tires to spruce it up a bit, since my "New Truck" money was going to the pool... lol. I think I made the right choice.

2ih9cw5.jpg

Forgot to mention. While the guys were installing the gates yesterday, I powerwashed 150 linear feet of wood fence, in preparation for stain / sealer. I'll add the same stain and sealer to the new gates later today!!

Not much for 3-10-2013

My wife and I spent the better part of Saturday and Sunday pressure washing then staining/ sealing our wood fence. It was about 150 linear feet of 6ft fence total. Took us about 4 gallons and only cost us $175.00 in supplies, including some nifty painting caps to keep me from burning my head! Tomorrow I'll finish off the new iron gates by staining them the same color as the fence.

hsp56x.jpg

vphj5w.jpg

2ma4wp.jpg

Update for 03-11-2013

Lost a little bit of steam today, after we failed the final inspection!

Inspector did not like the chain link fence on the side of my house, because kids can apparently climb them. Of course, they would have to get through an iron gate that has an upper latch and deadbolt keeping it closed, in order to get to that chain link fence. I have to either weave some of that nylon strapping through each hole, or change the fence. I have a 10ft length of 6" wood fence left over that was used to block off the entrance where the bobcat drove through my yard. I will just cut that to size and attach it with clamps to the chain link fence.

Second... I originally asked my pool builder to run conduit and then put a junction box for an outlet near the left corner of my yard. In the future I would use this junction box to pull power for my Gazebo and possible BBQ island. Well.. he called out a GFCI outlet in the plans. When the wiring was being installed, I asked the electrician to just put a sealed junction box instead, since I'm not sure when the rest of the landscaping and Gazebo would be built. Well.. the inspector wants a GFCI outlet installed before he will pass it.. lol. Even though the final electrical inspection won't be done until the plaster and underwater light fixtures are installed. O'well..

So.. I'll get that done today.. and the inspector will come back out to sign off those items. Then its Plaster on Wednesday and Thursday!!!

Wow, lovely inspectors.....unfortunately, been there with you!!

I would like to add that the concrete boys did a wonderful job texturing the concrete. I assume it was some sort of stamping system. It REALLY sets off the area. Keeping a picture on my computer for future reference for my concrete guys.

Bob E.

Safetybob said:
Wow, lovely inspectors.....unfortunately, been there with you!!

I would like to add that the concrete boys did a wonderful job texturing the concrete. I assume it was some sort of stamping system. It REALLY sets off the area. Keeping a picture on my computer for future reference for my concrete guys.

Bob E.

Yes.. We used a colored concrete for the deck, with a "slate" type stamp. PB says he will acid wash the deck after the stonescapes plaster is done. That will get rid of the whitish efflorescence that is visible at the moment. Then I'll decide whether I plan on sealing it.

At least my whole day didn't go bad. The big brown truck stopped by and dropped off my TF-100 kit, Speed Stir and Taylor Salt test kit :party:

jsklfd.jpg

03-13-13

So.. more lost steam.. :grrrr:

For the second day in a row, the inspector failed my safety gates. Even after I made the changes he wanted. Today we are giving it one more shot to get him off our backs. In Law Enforcement, they call that "being held hostage"....

At least the crew has kept busy the last few days getting everything ready for plastering.

So from the last post until today:

- Cleaned all the Crud out of the pool bottom and drained all the water
- Grouted and fixed small imperfections in the travertine stacked stone
- Installed a linear drain at the existing patio where it meets with the new walkway. I was getting flooding from the water coming down the stairs.
- Completed the wiring of the equipment, including installing of the wireless antenna
- Acid washed the deck

Cross your fingers.. because right now I'm still waiting for the douche.. I mean, inspector...

2rho41y.jpg

14tna9.jpg

2z5kdo4.jpg

29b1pcj.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I know how you feel. We failed twice due to our gate and fence. The gap between the fence & the key stones was two big. The gap was more than 4-5 inches. Non way a kid could have squeezed through that gap.

The one inspector that failed us for out gate said you failed and didn't even finish the inspection. He didn't even write it up w/ recommendations. Just said failed and left. Hang in there man.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Okay!!! Inspector came by like a Ninja and signed off the gates!!! I swear, I never even saw him.. and my dog didn't bark. I checked the paperwork to confirm.. and sure enough.. their was a dated signature next the Gates / Alarms!!

Plaster tomorrow!!! :cheers:

Oh yeah... Fedex came by to drop off another toy!!

6du4p0.jpg

On a side note, I went with the Baracuda MX8 because it has some decent reviews. Plus, parts seem to be reasonably priced and readily available from multiple sources. I tend to do all my own maintenance, so being able to fix this thing at home if something goes wrong is a big plus.

3-14-2013

Plaster is in!!!

So today while I was at work, the plaster crew came down to put in the Stonescapes Mini Pebble custom color blend plaster. According to my wife, the crew of seven arrived here around 7:00 am. They started with a thorough cleaning and prepping of the light niches, return nozzles and drains. They also did a pretty good job of covering all my new concrete deck. Then the fun began, which consisted of pumping the plaster, then troweling it to the proper finish. They were done and out by 2:00pm, which was probably a good thing. Like typical CA weather, we were in the high 80's for most of the afternoon.

Unlike regular plaster, pebble type finishes require a two day install. On the first day they install the plaster. On the second day, they use an acid wash to expose the remainder of the pebble finish. Then they go straight into the filling the pool. From what I'm told, since they do an acid wash, not as much brushing of the walls is needed after the pool is filled.

So here's the pics from today. Right now the plaster looks uneven and is colored like a baby blue smurf. Tomorrow, the real finish will be seen once the acid wash is done!!!

j90cgj.jpg

wi9f04.jpg

35ddt3l.jpg

30nkin6.jpg

t0oifa.jpg

2mpd1fd.jpg

thejetsunss said:
We are getting Stone scales mini too. What color did you go with? Looking good!

Not really sure what the name is.... We saw the plaster when our PB took us to see one of his most recent builds, and decided right there that we wanted the same color in our pool. PB said it was a custom mix that he put together with the client who's pool we saw. The color should pop in the sunlight with the amount of abalone shells mixed in.

It looks awesome! :mrgreen: Congrats!!! You will have an awesome summer!!! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.