Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main drain question

1. Back To Top    #1

Main drain question

Is there a difference between Australian and US plumbing codes regarding the connection of the main drain to pump suction line? The only thing connected to my suction line is the skimmer
    45,000 L (10,000 gal) pebblecrete pool, Hurlcon Viron P320 variable speed pump, Hurlcon VX9T SWG, Waterco 21" sand filter, Polaris 3900 Sport with booster pump and tailsweep pro retrofit. Pool has a rock waterfall that is in desperate need of a re-build (currently more like a soil-water-slurry-fall). Sunbather solar heating that is also not operational (perished solar blankets).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main drain question for Aussies

There's not a difference as far as I know. The only thing connected to my suction side is the skimmer. It only has one valve, and that's optional.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Main drain question for Aussies

Thanks Bama. I realised after a bit more investigation that my main drain IS connected to my skimmer. I often wondered what that dirt clogged hole in the front of the skimmer was for.

When we bought the house, the skimmer did not have a weir door on it. After reading on TFP what purpose they serve, I recently installed one. I suppose the low velocity in the skimmer without the weir door led to the main drain pipe blockage.

With a bit of effort with the garden hose and some operations of the weir door I've managed to clear the pipe. There is no valve on this pipe (at least not at the skimmer end), but there now seems to be a reasonable balance of flow between the skimmer and the drain. The drain pipe looks like a smaller diameter (1" or 1.25") than the suction line (1.5"), which I assume is to provide the flow balance.

I assume with the drain pipe blocked, the pool was not turning over as it should be, with dead spots at the bottom?

With the pipe blocked for god knows how long, I imagine there is a pretty disgusting bio-film/algae layer on the pipe walls - do I need to clean this (how?) or will it clear itself up during a shock treatment?
    45,000 L (10,000 gal) pebblecrete pool, Hurlcon Viron P320 variable speed pump, Hurlcon VX9T SWG, Waterco 21" sand filter, Polaris 3900 Sport with booster pump and tailsweep pro retrofit. Pool has a rock waterfall that is in desperate need of a re-build (currently more like a soil-water-slurry-fall). Sunbather solar heating that is also not operational (perished solar blankets).

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Main drain question

I would suggest you either raise the FC to shock level for a couple of days, or take a length of pipe and pour some bleach directly into the main drain. If you do the pipe thing, set your pump on low and shut it off before all the bleach is pulled from the line.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Main drain question

FYI, There are float diverter valves that sit inside the skimmer that allow you to adjust how much flow comes from the floor vs the skimmer.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!