Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best and quietest VS pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Blountsville, AL

Best and quietest VS pump?

I have a new pool and want to buy a VS pump. I currently have a Hayward 2hp pump and it's very loud. I have read that the Pentair VS is a better pump and quieter. They make several versions. Which one should I get? I have the Aqua Plus control system already.
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Best and quietest VS pump?

All VS and two speed pumps are quiet when run on lower speeds. It's not the pump, it's because lower flow rates/RPM don't make as much noise. I can hardly hear my two speed on low.

Since you have a Hayward controller, the EcoStar might be a good choice. Performance wise, it is the most efficient VS on the market.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Phoenix, AZ

Re: Best and quietest VS pump?

I have the VS-SVRS and it is very quiet on lower RPMs. You really can't even here it run. On the higher RPM you will hear it but still not as loud as the single speed Hayward I replaced. Have had the VS for about two years now and am very happy with it. Bought it on Amazon and saved several hundred dollars plus got free shipping on it.
    10,000gallon, IG Pebble Tec, Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3hp Variable Speed Pump
    Hayward Cart Filter C4025, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 1 vac line, 1 skimmer, 2 Main Drain, 3 returns, 2" plumbing
    TF100 Test Kit.