Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing with an Intelliflo VS

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing with an Intelliflo VS

Hi,

First post here, thanks this site has been a great help whilst I have been building my new pool.

Setting everything up for the first time today and installed a Pentair intelliflo pump the pool is 13,000 gal with twin drains and skimmers. The pump is revelation, filters nicely at 900rpm/110watts and skims efficiently at 1600rpm /400 watts.

My question is when I turn the pump on it primes itself at full speed 3400rpm, what do I when I backwash?

If I shut everything down and turn the filter (sand) to backwash and switch on the pump is it a problem that it will prime itself at that speed through the filter, same goes for rinse too?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing with an Intelliflo VS

Welcome to TFP!

The priming/maximum speed can be configured on the pumps setup menu. Depending on your filter size, you probably want to turn it down to something lower than 3400 RPM.

You want a relatively high speed for backwashing the filter. Just how high a speed depends on the size of your filter. A typical filter needs somewhere around 2000 RPM, but it varies quite a bit with filter size, with larger filters requiring a faster speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Backwashing with an Intelliflo VS

Thanks,

I will turn it down to 2000 rpm as soon as my neighbour returns my manual.