Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dual SWCG setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Dual SWCG setup

Has anyone ever seen a dual SWCG system running parallel? I was thinking about doing this to cut down on the amount of runtime and for redundancy.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dual SWCG setup

We commonly use triclor feeders in conjunction with SWCG's. It makes start ups easier, helps balance out the ph and CYA, works in low temps and can be a backup if one of the systems fail. They compliment each other very well.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have seen dual SWCG used in commercial settings but not in a residential setting. No reason it shouldn't work that I'm aware of though.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a couple of threads here where people are running Intex swg's parallel. It's kinda expensive but it actually makes sense for redundancy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

you could do it, but in my opinion it's an overkill for residential installation

6. Back To Top    #6

I like the idea of redundancy. I was hoping that it would extend the life of the cells by having less runtime which would also be beneficial. Does anyone know if this would require less cleaning? Does a SWCG cell accumulate calcium buildup only when it is generating chlorine? Less runtime would mean fewer cleanings.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

7. Back To Top    #7

The buildup that SWGs get is due mostly to the chemistry of the water. If your pH runs high then most likely your SWG will most likely buildup the deposits quicker. I keep my CSI slightly negative and I have only had to lightly scrape off a little bit of build up twice in 2.5 years.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Certainly possible to do. AutoPilot offers a pre plumbed dual cell manifold that would handle this without any modification. It uses CC-15 commercial cells so cell life would very good.

Only thing you need to watch is that you don't over chlorinate

How many gallons is the pool? What is your desired run time?
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA
    I like the idea of redundancy. I was hoping that it would extend the life of the cells by having less runtime which would also be beneficial. Does anyone know if this would require less cleaning? Does a SWCG cell accumulate calcium buildup only when it is generating chlorine? Less runtime would mean fewer cleanings.
    i think the only real benefit would be the ability to use one while other is broken.
    the rest of benefits would be offset by the cost of second unit

you would have fewer cleaning, but then you will need to clean two cells instead of one
    they will last longer, but again when time comes you will have to replace two instead of one

also instead of one unit that could break you now have two, both of which can break