Decal no Diving

CB

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 21, 2012
Central Ohio
You know that decal that came with your AG pool? The one that says NO DIVING,the one you didn't want on your nice new pool, the one with red and black text on a white background,the one thats something like 3"X9",the one they sell at the pool store by the register for a couple bucks? GET ONE ON YOUR POOL TODAY.
My brothers FIL didn't want that decal on his pool either.His wife nagged at him to put a couple on their pool in conspicious places :blah: ,so to shut her up he put 2 on his pool one by the steps and 1 on the gate to his deck.His reasoning for not having these stickers beforehand was that above every upright molded into the resin it says"NO DIVING" enough warning right?wrong that warning is to protect the manufacterer not you,thats why they provide you with the stickers.

To make a long story longer.He had an adult only pool party this fall someone dove into the pool and broke their neck.They then sued him for their lapse of judgement.The courts ruled in my brothers FIL's favor because he had spent $4 in decals and posted them for all to see.Saved him big time.Something to the tune of $500,000.

I didn't want those decals on my pool but my wife nagged me, :blah: so tongue in cheek I purchased a sign,biggest I could find 36"X18" and installed it on my gate.Glad I did.I think I married my wife to keep me from doing stupid things.Still sucks when she's right. :lol: Getting a couple decals for the general pool area now,glad it was my idea :wink:

To be fair my wife doesn't nag me.......she suggests things......ALOT.

Wow ... I hate situations like this when some tries to get paid for their own stupidity. I am sorry someone got hurt, but seriously, take some responsibility for yourself.

I think I need to add some stickers / signs as well ...

The balance point between aesthetics and safety is a very tough issue. Every raised spa in a shallow pool or a waterfall/boulder feature could result in a 17 year old male that was high on courage from testoserone or other chemicals to become a quadriplegic.

The NSPI had to become the ASPI because they made the only diving reccomendations for pools. Diving board companies have been sued into becoming judgement proof as a method of survival.

Putting depth markers and no-diving tiles in the coping and waterline tile and every water feature and decorative boulder on residential pools would be really ugly and I hope that it doesn't come to that.

As a pool builder. pool owner and parent, I know that the risk is always there for a potential lawsuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.