Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: There is a tool for this, right? Skimmer cover removal.

1. Back To Top    #1

There is a tool for this, right? Skimmer cover removal.

I am only a couple of weeks into pool ownership. I am not generally squeamish, but i am developing a healthy concern for pulling the cover off of the skimmer. In my 2 weeks I have opened it up to find 3 wet and very unhappy huge bumble bees (thankfully wet and cold makes for slow bees), a giant spider (ok, giant is a relative term, but it was really big), roughly 12 million rollly polly bugs clinging to the underside of the cover, and on our warmest day I found a snake just a few inches away from the cover sunning itself (I had been pulling shrubs and assume I disturbed it's winter den) - thankfully it was just a rat snake and harmless and it was technically not IN the skimmer, but it really made me think about the fact that warm weather may change where I am finding snakes.

So, I am getting concerned with sticking my fingers into the little holes on the cover. The cover is new and fits tightly so I really have to yank on it. I assume there is some tool for this job? What is it called because I am coming up with nothing when I search "skimmer cover remover thingie".

Thanks y'all!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: There is a tool for this, right? Skimmer cover removal.

you just need anything with a little hook on it ... maybe a tent stake, or take a wire coat hanger and bend it, or just get a short piece of wire and bend it.

Be creative
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I used an old, very cheap garden hoe and cut off the blade leaving the "hook" part of the metal still attached to the hoe handle. Works great.

I just know Mr. Spider is in there scheming to grab my index finger and gnaw mercilessly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Could you add a second small hole next to the finger sized hole and run a zip tie thru them both to give you a"handle" to pull the cover off with? It would be low profile, and not sharp so wouldn't hurt any ones feet. Or knot a piece of nylon rope pass it thru the hole and tie another knot on the other end. Nothing to trip anyone and nothing to hurt the feet. Air could circulate thru the hole around the rope and you'd have a fairly permanent handle. Oh, and it would be one less tool you'd have to hunt for everyday!

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Taterfink
    Could you add a second small hole next to the finger sized hole and run a zip tie thru them both to give you a"handle" to pull the cover off with? It would be low profile, and not sharp so wouldn't hurt any ones feet. Or knot a piece of nylon rope pass it thru the hole and tie another knot on the other end. Nothing to trip anyone and nothing to hurt the feet. Air could circulate thru the hole around the rope and you'd have a fairly permanent handle. Oh, and it would be one less tool you'd have to hunt for everyday!
    I like these ideas
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you!
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

7. Back To Top    #7

We have used the knotted rope on occasion. Its a good solution.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Taterfink

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    BRILLIANT!

9. Back To Top    #9

For what it's worth, I have two very tight skimmer covers. I have a wooden dowel rod that fits in the center hole. I can put the dowel rod in the hole and gently pry up on the sides and corners of the cover to nudge it open. While I occasionally find a friend in the skimmer, we meet face to face before we shake hands.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a autofill cover that gets really tight if there's any dirt or sand on the ledge area of the housing. Just a couple of grains of sand make the difference between loose and having to use a knife to pry the thing free. If there's dirt on your skimmer's ledge, get a rag and while pressing real hard, circle around the ledge area a few times to get everything clean. May also need to break up any hardened dirt by dragging a small screwdriver around the same area. Make sure the cover outer edge is similarly clean.

Who knows....in the process you may pull out a drowned rat from the skimmer like I did once! - not realizing at first that I had a rat in my hand among all the dead leaves. Yuck.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

11. Back To Top    #11

Get a skimmer angel or similar device once you sort out the cover handle. The skimmer angel lets you get the skimmer basket out without reaching into the gunk.

I have had a snake in mine...

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump