Should I install auto feeder

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
As part of my pool kit, I got a "Hayward Deluxe Automatic Chlorine Feeder".

Im definitely going the BBB method. Is there any reason for me to install this auto feeder? I was thinking yes, as I could possibly use it when I go on vacation. Also, I will eventually be adding a salt generator, just not during the initial install.

Thanks

ssgumby said:
Is there any reason for me to install this auto feeder? I was thinking yes, as I could possibly use it when I go on vacation.
It is really up to you, your right that if managed correctly it could be helpful for vacations, though like you mentioned a swg will do that job better (IMO). Personally, I would not install it...less joints to worry about, less pressure head loss (though this is small i think) and even if you are buying pucks in bulk, they tend to be more expensive.

How many vacations until the SWG goes in? Long or short? Who will manage the pool when you are gone? Can they dump bleach on a schedule? Or will that be too much to ask in addition to checking skimmers and water level and whatever else they do in your absence?

anonapersona said:
How many vacations until the SWG goes in? Long or short? Who will manage the pool when you are gone? Can they dump bleach on a schedule? Or will that be too much to ask in addition to checking skimmers and water level and whatever else they do in your absence?

Usually do 4 "mini" vacations per year. Usually 4 long 5 day weekends. I would put in SWG spring/summer 2014.

I do have family that comes when I am on vacation to take care of things around the house, feed animals, etc. So they would be open to taking care of the pool, especially since they would sit by the pool and drink a beer. ;)

Long vacations would tilt toward installing it, but it looks like you are OK not having it for what you do. You can just push the FC up a bit to handle the long weekend, no big deal. Even relatives using the pool won't matter much.

I'd try to get a deal on the SWG when possible. Then after it is in, sell the autofeeder on Ebay or whatever. Not sooner, just in case you have some weird thing happen and you are going to be away for a few weeks and wish you had that autofeeder.

My two cents is sell the autofeeder and teach your "pool watcher" how to test the water. They will love the lover learning the skill and will feel more committed to keeping the pool in great condition while they are enjoying that beer around the pool.

Seriously, with BBB and even just a small chart to tell them how much bleach to add, what can go wrong? Plus it would in my opinion be better to have someone else who could help out if you had to go out of town let's say for 10 days in the event of say family death or something.......

Even with my SWG, I still make minor adjustments here and there with bleach. No need to make this more complicated or expensive than necessary.

Bob E.

One problem that I see with the auto-feeders is that sooner or later, they leak and need to be deplumbed from the system. When mine started doing that, I deplumbed it and bought a $6 floater from Wal-Mart that I throw into the pool when I expect to be gone for a few days. I like the floater as it won't spring a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.