spa pressure/bubbles

Jan 31, 2013
I have an inground pool/hot tub. Both the pool and hot tub are level to eachother with a flowover. I have a DE filter - clean. 1 1/2 hp single speed pump. No booster - never needed. Recently, the hot tub dramatically slowed down on bubbles. PSI is stable when draining from either pool or spa. When water is returned to the pool - PSI stays the same. When it ONLY returns to the spa - it jumps by 10PSI. Jets in the spa have been checked and cleaned. There was debris from a deteriorated DE filter pad clogging the individual jets. Suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is not uncommon for the PSI to go up when in spa mode. Did it not used to go up by 10psi?

Based on what you said, if this is more than the normal pressure rise, sounds like there still is something clogging up the return to the spa jets. Only thought is to remove all jets and run it again to see if any debris comes out ... not really sure how you could use a hose to backflow the return from the spa toward the filter to try to dislodge something.

honestly don't remember what the jump was before, although there was a jump. Just removed nozzles and the PSI is stable regardless of where it is coming from or going to. There have been issues ever since the pump was replaced. The old pump was a jacuzzi 1 1/2 hp. New one is a Hayward 1 1/2 hp "SuperPump". Would brands make a difference? Impellors?

Well, you need to also know the service factor of the motor. The true power of the motor is the service factor * the HP.

So if the SF of the jacuzzi was different than the Superpump, that could result in a more/less powerful motor. Also the impeller and housing designs also affect the amount of water flow for a given pump.

How are is the air introduced to the spa? My previous house just had a piece of pvc sticking up near the pad with a hole cut in it to draw air in ... check for something covering/clogging that. If it is covered, you will not get any bubbles, which will make the jets feel less powerful.

disturbedpoolguy said:
There was debris from a deteriorated DE filter pad clogging the individual jets. Suggestions?
That would concern me. There may be some debris that has not cleared the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.