Heater (Pool or Spa) Cost of operation of Propane heater

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
How do I calculate the fuel cost of operation of a spa or pool propane heater? Last Saturday I routed my spa heater to the pool and raised the temperature of the pool 14 degrees in 6 hours to make it tolerable to swim. The heater never reached setpoint so it was on the entire 6 hours.
My spa propane heater is rated 400,000 btu.
Assume $2.35 per gallon of propane
How do you calculate the gallons of Propane used per hour?

I think it is close to this:
1 gallon propane = ~ 92,000 BTU
Heater = ~400,000 BTU/hour

So in 6 hours, you used 2,400,000 BTU / 92,000 = 26 gallons of propane = $61

Your specific question: 400,000 BTU/hr / 92,000 BTU/gallon = 4.35 gallons / hr ... assuming the heater stays on the entire time

JB beat me but our answer is the same. :hammer:

The heater is rated for BTU/H so in 6 hrs you used 2,400,000 BTU's or about 26 gallons of propane.

Propane has about 91,500 btu per gallon so that heater will use about 4½ gallons per hour

Thanks for the input. I guess using cowboy arithmetic I can pretty well assume $10/hr in 2013 propane prices of $2.35 in my area. Part of the cost of enjoying a pool.
I don't know if it is :hammer: or :whoot: ? The kids and grand kids (14 swimmers in all) are still talking about swimming when it was cold outside. Memories are forever. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.