Lifetime warranty on shell

dperque

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2013
Austin, TX
I've chosen a builder but he doesn't offer a "Lifetime Warranty" - some of the runners up did, but I wonder if this is really something to consider.

My PB says that a lifetime warranty just doesn't make sense - he can't be addressing something that may come up do to ground shifting 50 yrs after a build. He's been building pools for 17 yrs (company's been around for 25) and he has an A+ BBB rating and from what I can tell, a lot of happy customers.

He offers 3 yrs on the shell, but explained that between the stamped engineering plans, #4 rebar space 9" OC, 5000 psi gunite, the Aquaron (CPSP) Capillary Sealer, and quartz plaster product, I shouldn't have any issues. I suspect he's right and certainly subscribe to the "buy the Honda with the short warranty you'll never need, than the Hyundai that may have you in and out of the dealer often" philosophy.

I guess what I'm wondering is, has anyone actually used a shell warranty 10, 20, 30+ years after a pool was built? Or do any issues quickly reveal themselves in the first few years?

And no offense to anyone that has a Hyundai :)

Chances are that any problems will show up fairly quickly, first year or two. So the odds of using a lifetime warranty after the first several years is minimal. There is also the issue that the builder is unlikely to still be in business in thirty or forty years, so chances are you couldn't get any money out of them anyway.

I agree with JasonLion, even if you did find a builder that offered lifetime warranty chances are it would be pro-rated or wouldn't cover labor or something.

Try not to put too much emphasis on the BBB rating. They are always calling me trying to join. Basically they want a few hundred dollars every year or so. Do you really think they are going to give you a bad review after you just gave them a couple hundred dollars?. Talking to his customers is the best way to review him.

Agree with Jason and Kevin. Its good that your builder takes his warranty seriously enough to care about it. Lifetime warranties have no validity in a lot of states and more marketing than meat.

We pay extortion fees to be members of the BBB even though some of the worst builders in the area have A+ ratings. They are a marketing company rather than an independent rating company.

That he has been in business for seventeen years speaks far more loudly than any warranty.

As an aside, +1 on what Carolina Pool said about BBB. It took me about 6 years (many, many years ago) to realize their exorbitant fees were backed by inadequate performance. I never even look at someone's BBB reputation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.