Friends Calcium Scaling

Calcium scale is a tough problem.....almost always caused by combinations of high pH, high TA and high calcium content.

At some point, the advice will get fairly complex so I encourage you to get your friend involved in the forum.....it will be tough to relay all the info to him he will need to fix his pool. He will need good pics, as well.

Already told him all that from my help from you all last year. Trouble is his is a holiday villa, so I am likely to get involved in some way. It is really bad on the steps leading into the pool. Would it be easier, or even possible, to replace just the liner on the steps.

Replacing the liner is generally an all or nothing project.

Sometimes you can get calcium scale off of vinyl with a putty knife, but it can sometimes be tricky to avoid cutting the vinyl, so be very careful until you get a feel for it.

He is coming over in the next few weeks I think so I will point him to this thread and try to get him involved. I have enough to do looking after my own pool without taking on his. He did ask me to, but I declined. The pool isn't that large so I guess it depends whether he wants to spend the money on relining. I think he should as he rents the villa out, but it isn't my money. I think he was hoping he could drain the pool and find some magical chemical solution while he is here.

Unless he can persuade the Italian guy who does look after the pool to get properly clued up on the chemical issues then I can see he will always have problems.

OliveGrove said:
He is coming over in the next few weeks I think so I will point him to this thread and try to get him involved.

That's probably the best way. It's hard to deal with this type of situation by relaying the info both ways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.