Pump Motor Problem - Will Not Start

jtcweb

Jan 29, 2013
Hello,

I have a Cal Spa that is at least 10 years old. It has two motors/pumps. Pump #1 has a low speed that is used for filtering and heating and a high speed when you want to feel the jets. Pump #2 is just the high speed. Pump #1 will not come on when the system calls for heat or filter cycle, it just hums. It doesn't pop the breaker, after humming for a few seconds I can hear a relay in the tub click off.
However if I push the jets button several time it will sometimes come on. Or if I turn on pump #2 after a couple of minutes #1 will come on. Once pump #1 has been spinning I can stop it briefly and then start it up again and it will start on slow speed.

I've been reading on this site about replacing the start-up capacitor, does my problem sound like that would be the cause? I had this same problem with pump #1 a year or two ago, but then it started working again.

It certainly could be the start cap but I'd check the switch contacts first. Usually if it's the start cap once it quits starting it won't start back on it's own. The switch contacts, however, can intermittently make good enough contact to start the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.