New to TFT100 test(TURNING SWAMP INTO OASIS)

duraleigh said:
Will do the OFCT and see how levels of FC maintain. Am I supposed to keep shocking till I see CC at 0ppm?? thanks a lot guys.
Don't be in a big rush to do the OFCLT just yet. Wait until it SEEMS like you are not using chlorine overnight and then perform it. The OFCLT is to confirm that your shock procedure is done.

.5ppm or 0ppm CC's is the same thing......treat both of them as zero.

(your water looks pretty good....I'll bet you are getting close!)

You betcha!!! , the water is looking amazing !!!! I'm gonna get inside the pool soon!!! . Should I do the CYA test with my TF100 test kit in 1 week?? to see if its up to 20ppm before I bump to 50ppm??

BTW thanks a lot for the kit , I couldn't have done it without it and without this forums help!

Raul,

20ppm is somewhat difficult to measure on that test. You certainly can do that if you like but I would suggest you simply assume your dosage is correct for now.

Then, when you get ready to go to 50ppm, calculate your dose carefully and then confirm your results by testing 5-7 days after. Being a bit of a newbie, I think it will be perhaps easier for you to observe 50ppm. You'll get comfortable with that test after just a couple of times but I think it can be a little tricky the first time you try it.

Thanks for the nice words about the kit. Lot's of good people here on the forum who will always help.

duraleigh said:
Raul,

20ppm is somewhat difficult to measure on that test. You certainly can do that if you like but I would suggest you simply assume your dosage is correct for now.

Then, when you get ready to go to 50ppm, calculate your dose carefully and then confirm your results by testing 5-7 days after. Being a bit of a newbie, I think it will be perhaps easier for you to observe 50ppm. You'll get comfortable with that test after just a couple of times but I think it can be a little tricky the first time you try it.

Thanks for the nice words about the kit. Lot's of good people here on the forum who will always help.
Increased to 30ppm since that is what was left of the bottle of stabilizer. Will continue brushing walls and pool to remove last stubborn enclosed algae and shocking will come to an end soon since no chloramines detected and water is sparkling clear. Will increase to 50ppm CYA and post new pics soon

Forgot to say *** increased aeration on the swimming pool to raise pH from 7.2 to 7.5 or so ***

New update :

took another CYA test today and I still can see the black spot at the end but is almost blurry at 20ppm so I guess I gotta buy more stabilizer and start going at it again till i reach 50ppm slowly ughhh!!!!

pH increased and awesome at 7.5

TA-90
FC: 4ppm
CC: less than .5ppm

new photo update of my pool here :
[attachment=0:323b3mwz]IMG-20130207-WA0002.jpg[/attachment:323b3mwz]

As you can see the left wall still have some spots left and lo and behold that is black algae that Is so stubborn to remove is not even funny!! but brushing everyday hardcore has almost got it all off :cheers: :cheers:

I got a question now!!! , can I start treating my pool with BORATES to make it more sparkling clear and add the algaecide qualities??

thanks all

Attachments

• IMG-20130207-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20130207-WA0002.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 59
rauljimenez said:
s you can see the left wall still have some spots left and lo and behold that is black algae that Is so stubborn to remove is not even funny!! but brushing everyday hardcore has almost got it all off
If you still have Black algae then your FC should still be at your shock level and not below (11 ppm per pool calculator and 20 ppm cya).

Remember, before your done with the shocking process you must pass all three criteria (see my sig). "Clear water" also means no sign of algae. Also, don't forget the OCLT!

rauljimenez said:
I got a question now!!! , can I start treating my pool with BORATES to make it more sparkling clear and add the algaecide qualities??
Why are you planning on adding algaecide? Liquid chlorine/bleach is all you need. I would hold off on the Borates until you have the rest sorted out.

linen said:
rauljimenez said:
Why are you planning on adding algaecide? Liquid chlorine/bleach is all you need. I would hold off on the Borates until you have the rest sorted out.

Pretty he did not mean adding algaecide, but instead just adding the borates which may act as one. But, I agree, you should get the pool clear and then all the levels correct (especially TA) before you start adding borates.

linen said:
rauljimenez said:
s you can see the left wall still have some spots left and lo and behold that is black algae that Is so stubborn to remove is not even funny!! but brushing everyday hardcore has almost got it all off :cheers: :cheers:
If you still have Black algae then your FC should still be at your shock level and not below (11 ppm per pool calculator and 20 ppm cya).

Remember, before your done with the shocking process you must pass all three criteria (see my sig). "Clear water" also means no sign of algae. Also, don't forget the OCLT!

rauljimenez said:

Yes yes im never going back to algaecides just the properties of adding borates!!!!. Ok arghh back to shocking levels again and more brushing indeed :hammer: :hammer:

jblizzle said:
linen said:
rauljimenez said:

Pretty he did not mean adding algaecide, but instead just adding the borates which may act as one. But, I agree, you should get the pool clear and then all the levels correct (especially TA) before you start adding borates.

Hey jblizzle !!!! , is the TA at 90 a bad level?? just asking because right now pH is at 7.5 and TA at 90 let me know thanks!!

Check the recommended levels in Pool School ... 90 sounds slightly high, but maybe I am thinking of a SWG pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Check the recommended levels in Pool School ... 90 sounds slightly high, but maybe I am thinking of a SWG pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)
Ahh yeah i checked it out.. says 70 to 90plus for plaster pool which is mine without a SWG so i think we good there just need to rid of that black algae grrr , but my pool looks amazing from what I had for reals a

UnderWaterVanya said:
Congrats! :goodjob:

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thank you, this is proof that you can really do it with the BBB method and some good test kit!!! new pic all is clear !!!

[attachment=0:1xfck54z]Image 2-17-13 at 4.43 PM.jpeg[/attachment:1xfck54z]

Here are my final values :

FC= 4.5ppm
CC=.5ppm
TC=5ppm

TA=100ppm
CH=340ppm <--- gotta watch this one , my pool is a plaster one ( Also had problem measuring this one since it turned purple instead of blue :hammer: :hammer: )
CYA=30ppm and gonna increase to 50ppm now
pH=7.5

I'm thinking of adding borates to the pool, can I do it now as i increase my CYA?? thanks guys

Attachments

• Image 2-17-13 at 4.43 PM.jpeg
    Image 2-17-13 at 4.43 PM.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 34
I'm thinking of adding borates to the pool, can I do it now as i increase my CYA??
You can certainly do that anytime but I am "go slow" type of person and like to adjust things one at a time, observe the affect, make sure it's stabilized, and then go to the next parameter.

Nice work on your pool! :cheers:

duraleigh said:
I'm thinking of adding borates to the pool, can I do it now as i increase my CYA??
You can certainly do that anytime but I am "go slow" type of person and like to adjust things one at a time, observe the affect, make sure it's stabilized, and then go to the next parameter.

Nice work on your pool! :cheers:

Thank you for all your help and this site dave!!! :party: :cheers: :cheers:

[attachment=0:27w325p4]Image 4-7-13 at 11.48 AM.jpeg[/attachment:27w325p4]

Hello guys, here updating my old post to say I am a proud owner of a sparkling clear pool thanks to this forum and test kits!!!! new pic as it has been about 1 month or a bit more since i last posted i keep enjoying this forum and looking for ways to make my water better every day, my next step is borates on my pool :)

thanks go to everyone in this forum including moderators for such immense help, without you it wouldnt be possible.

OHHHH and I bought a Barracuda G3 , best investment ever to keep my pool clean while i work :)

Attachments

• Image 4-7-13 at 11.48 AM.jpeg
    Image 4-7-13 at 11.48 AM.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 19
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.