Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace concrete deck quote

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace concrete deck quote

Hey everyone!

I requested a local concrete company to come out to my place and give me an estimate for repairing some concrete around my 18x36 inground pool. In a nutshell, I have a depression on one side of the pool where the ground has settled about 3 inches away from the concrete for a span of about 5 feet.

In the end, he was hesitant to make repairs to the affected slab. Instead, his diagnosis was to replace the entire deck (approx. 170 sf) because of various cracks that he noticed...at a price of $8500... does this seem reasonable? I certainly don't mind replacing the deck, but that price seems a little high. I'm just looking for a sanity check...

[attachment=0:1bigjn88]WP_000027_comp.jpg[/attachment:1bigjn88]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground vinyl pool w/ sand filter, 28000 gallons
    Montgomery, AL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace concrete deck quote

Cracks in concrete are very common and usually not a reason to replace it. Unless there's heaving or other serious underlying problem I wouldn't replace the entire deck. That pic doesn't show what the problem is or if there are any other issues so I can't say if it may need replacing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll take some better pics when I get home...there's really no heaving, but I'll attach the pics so you can get a better look.
    Montgomery, AL

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are a couple of pics... this first one is why I called the concrete guy in the first place
    [attachment=1:29edfceg]IMG_20130129_165919_030_comp.jpg[/attachment:29edfceg]

This second one is an example of the ground settling on the other side of the pool...you can see a crack in the middle left side of the pic...

[attachment=0:29edfceg]IMG_20130129_165953_805.jpg[/attachment:29edfceg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Montgomery, AL

5. Back To Top    #5

There are plenty of companies that do mud jacking that could fill in the void and even raise the dropped edge. Should be cheaper than a tear out and replacement.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there going to be real gold inlay? That is outrageously expensive for concrete. It would be closer to $10 a square foot (even with tear out) here.

Like 4knights said, a mud jacking (or concrete raising) company can fix that buy pumping a concrete type mic under that deck.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow that seems high! I have a little over 1200 sq/ft of concrete and it was $3800 total.

I agree with the mud jacking suggestion.
    18x36 IG Vinyl. ~29k Gallons.
    Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Inteli-flow VS Pump
    Hayward Goldline SWG
    Tigershark QC Robot

8. Back To Top    #8

There is a lot more than 170 sq ft in the picture. I see about 600 . $8500 is not an unreasonable price.

Mud jacking/pressure grouting would not work in this situation and in general should not be used on a vinly pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Carolina I agree. There is an awful lot of painstaking hand work to remove and replace a deck. Power breaking concrete in that situation can become very expensive to repair. Mudjacking would be my absolute last resort.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

10. Back To Top    #10

Mr Carolina Pool.... when I read your post, it made me realize that the quote most likely includes removing the old deck, so you are right that it is pretty reasonable.

Curious though... why would mud jacking be a bad idea? Im always looking for an opportunity to learn!

Also, I have a co-worker looking to install a gunite pool in the lake norman area. I will pass along your website to him!
    18x36 IG Vinyl. ~29k Gallons.
    Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Inteli-flow VS Pump
    Hayward Goldline SWG
    Tigershark QC Robot

11. Back To Top    #11

mudjacking/pressure grouting relies on pressure to lift the slab. In this case you would have to build a substantial form on the perimeter of the patio to contain the grout to make it work. You also risk causing a deflection in the pool wall from the pressure. A high % of liner pools have voids near the pool walls where the backfill has settled.

12. Back To Top    #12

All, thank you for your insight. It certainly made sense that it would be an expensive job, but I didn't have $9K expensive in mind . I guess the next question is whether or not these issues are in an emergency state or if I can wait a year or two.
    Montgomery, AL

13. Back To Top    #13

I just got a letter in the mail from the contractor... he reduced the price of the deck replacement to $7500. I'm interested to see if I get any more letters
    Montgomery, AL

14. Back To Top    #14

It wouldn't hurt to pack some sand in the void. You could even put in some piers under the perimeter of the patio to slow down the settling.

15. Back To Top    #15

What about just installing 1" pavers and leveling it all out with them.