Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any pictures of a failed SWG grid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any pictures of a failed SWG grid?

Curious how they finally die. Thinking about a SWG, but the replacement cost seems out of line wrt what is essentially a $20 part IMHO.
    24k Gallon, Plastered in ground pool with attached spa
    Pentair 420 cartridge filter with 3HP variable speed Pentair 011018
    Solar panels
    EasyTouch8 with IC40 salt cell
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any pictures of a failed SWG grid?

The blades are coated with very rare highly specialized materials and they wear off over time and that's usually what causes the failures. The coating process and specialized materials are what turn it from a $50 part into a $500 part.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

is there a way to repair a swg IC 40 that was replaced due to leaking at the seem?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, but if we learn how to replace them, the cost would be significantly less. Here is some grid of Rhodium/Gold/Titanium at $14/inch. How much is needed? Of course the connection is the tricky part, TIG welding thin Titanium ... but heck, someone could make a business on refurbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-06-Plati...item2c60d88d47
    Solar panels
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtfrmr
    is there a way to repair a swg IC 40 that was replaced due to leaking at the seem?
    If you're talking about the cell housing, I don't know what the plastic is but if you could find out you may be able to weld it. Yes, I said weld it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I recently picked up some "Plast-aid Repair" from Amazon. I used this to close a crack in my overflow and I believe it worked on the white ABS.

There are two parts to it, one is powered plastic along with a solvent. I think the solvent is MEK, so use it outside. (You could also just buy some MEK at a plastic shop and grind up some plastic but the kit is probably easier).
    BTW: MEK == MethalEthalKetone nasty stuff, but so is most of our pool chemicals...
    Solar panels
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

7. Back To Top    #7

It's not a grid like you posted...as least not in mine They are approx. 2" x 8" plates.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Remember I've not got an SWG nor have I inspected one. Aprox how thick is each plate and how many plates are there in your Aqua Rite SWG?

The control and GUI stuff isn't rocket science (in the age of Arduino, Raspberry Pi). However DIY and electrolysis level currents in a conductive salt water solution does lead to expensive testing requirements as failure isn't good.
    Solar panels
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

9. Back To Top    #9

Plates are thin...maybe 1/32 or 1/64? There are about 10.

I agree that the materials probably aren't all that expensive, and I'm very interested to see if you can indeed make one. It's all the R&D they did that makes them $500 now.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Plates are thin...maybe 1/32 or 1/64? There are about 10.

I agree that the materials probably aren't all that expensive, and I'm very interested to see if you can indeed make one. It's all the R&D they did that makes them $500 now.
    I have no particular plans to make one, but every now and again one comes up on craigslist with an unknown life left on the plates (or dead power, etc). So I was kinda wondering what part of the plates die and if it was a true cost of replacement or more of a "it's for a pool of course it costs 5x" kinda thing.

The hacker space community could easily build a simple pool controller that used a web interface and GUI to a cellphone. Kind of a time vs money trade off. It's certainly easy for a couple of pumps, timers, valves. water proofed pool control system is kinda solved by some of the current water proof cellphone cases plus a year or two old phone. (Heck I guess a brand new phone is cheaper than some of the control systems). Anyway, kind of off my topic.
    Solar panels
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

11. Back To Top    #11

you can buy the materials if you want to and make one but it will end up cheaper to buy one

the cost for the replacement cells vary greatly between the manufacturers

as far as what the faulty one looks like, usually the plates will turn grey when the coating came off (so you see bare titanium) or it will be unchanged in color if it's just the catalyst that got used up.

the plates are coated with ruthenium oxide, or sometimes iridium for the non-reverse polarity applications