Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polyair pool cover disintegration

1. Back To Top    #1

Polyair pool cover disintegration

We bought our home in October of last year and became first time pool owners. I had the pool winterized in November (shut off the cell, cleaned filter, etc) by the pool service that had been maintaining the pool. I wasn't sure about the use of the pool cover (retain heat, keep pool clean, both?) and didn't put the cover on the pool until a couple of weeks ago. Didn't notice anything untoward when the cover went on. The other day I pulled the cover off to make sure all was well and noticed the pool had hundreds (thousands?) of tiny round pieces of pool cover floating around. The plastic "bubbles" had disintegrated into the pool - they look like blue soft contact lens'. I've been hand skimming what I can, but there is still a lot of plastic in my pool and I'm worried it will foul up the works. I checked the filter (read the pressure gauge) and it's running at the bottom of the scale. I'm hoping that means it is "clean". What should/can I do about this mess? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Sonoma County California, 14K IG Fiberglass with spa and waterfall built in 2007, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink AP1400 with PDA, Jandy Stealth 2HP filter pump, Jandy Plus HP .5HP water feature pump, Jandy CL 340 filter (340sf, 127gpm), Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 333, Jandy Watercolors LED lights, solar water heater, Poolvergnuegen 4 Wheel Suction PoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polyair pool cover disintegration

After a couple of years most solar pool covers will start to delaminate. The tops of the bubbles seem to be the first to go. Try to skim as much as you can off with a net, they will clog your skimmer. I had a clear solar cover and didnít realize may skimmer was loaded with them.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

A solar cover isn't for winter use. That requires a different tpe of cover. One that is specifically designed to hold up to colder weather.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Beach, CA

Once the water gets to cold to swim in, I remove the cover for the winter and start to think about putting it on in early March. Keep netting out what you can. If the cover is a special shape, keep it so you can trace it for your next cover.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process