Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates in california pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates in california pools

Are borates illegal for use in pools in california? I have asked distributors and retailers about getting borates and nobody has ever heard of it. Bioguard manufactures some for use in pools and the website wouldn't let me ship to california. It seems like it must be illegal but i cant find anywhere that says so. I am dying to talk to customers about adding borates to their pool but i don't want to if it isn't legal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates in california pools

I don't keep up with the most recent rules in California, but as of a couple of years ago they had not banned it. Borates are sold under a variety of brand names, for example ProTeam Supreme & Supreme Plus, BioGuard Optimizer Plus, and Poollife Endure to name three. If any of those are available then it is most likely legal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmm....the local san diego grocery store carries 20 mule team borax, I didn't even bother looking for other sources....
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

4. Back To Top    #4

MattM, it is certainly allowed as a laundry detergent booster, but that doesn't mean it is still alowed as a pool chemical. A few small localities have outlawed using borates in your pool water and there was at least some talk about doing the same in California, though I never heard what, if anything, came of it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is a borate product with many California dealers.
    http://nisuscorp.com/pool-spa/products/poolproof

http://nisuscorp.com/pool-spa/pool-spa- ... California

ACTIVE INGREDIENT:
    Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate...................... 47.6%
    OTHER INGREDIENTS......................................... 52.4%
    TOTAL ............................................................ ....... 100.0%
    Equivalent boron content of:
    86.5% as sodium tetraborate (Na2B4O710H2O)
    32.3% as boric oxide (B2O3)
    10.0% B as elemental boron (B)
    http://nisuscorp.com/images/uploads/doc ... lproof.pdf

6. Back To Top    #6

California identifies substances with acute LD50 of less than 2,500 mg/kg as "hazardous wastes" while boric acid has an LD50 of 3450 mg/kg for male rats (ordinary table salt is around 3000 mg/kg). However there was a period of time where the California limit was 5,000 at which point boric acid was designated as hazardous waste so required higher transportation costs due to certain shipping and packaging requirements. Some manufacturers didn't change their MSDS or policies once California loosened their ridiculously tight regulation that would have made table salt a hazardous waste were it not for its specific exemption!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"