Spa Crest Spa wiring

tim1

Apr 26, 2010
I attempted to wire my used (new to me) spa. Bought a 50amp GFI breaker and hooked it just as the local store instructed me to. I just tried to turn the circuit breaker on and it did not work, just popped back to the off position. I am unsure were to go to but an electrician and hope someone here can help. I have run 4 wires, two from the breaker to terminals 1 & 2 in the control box, the third and forth go from the ground strap in the circuit breaker box to terminal 3 in the control box. I hope this makes sense to someone that can help me get power going to my spa.

I just had an electrician here to check my wiring job, everything I did was correct and to code. He could do nothing inside the spa control panel. Got the pool tech scheduled for sometime tomorrow to come check it and make it work for the wife.

ell the pool company came out yesterday and checked the wiring. He said it was wired to the wrong type of circuit breaker. It was a 50 amp two pole GFI breaker, and I was told I need a three pole breaker and it does not need to be a GFI as the spa has one in the control box. I went to return the 50 GFI and they would not take it back, said something about they hade no way to test to see if it was good. Then then stated it was the correct type of breaker and would ot sell me another one. So off to the only other electrical store in this town. These people had never heard of a 3 pole breaker, while I was there 2 electricians showed up and they also said the have never heard one either. The pool guy said I needed to hook the two hot wires and the neuteral wire to the three terminals on the breaker, the ground to a grounding strip and the pigtail from the breaker to the neutral bar in the breaker box. I asked if they sold this breaker and he said no. So does this wiring sound right and if so were can I get a three pole 50 amp breaker?

You have the right breaker! I don't know where he got that info. They make 3 pole breakers but they're 3-phase and you would absolutely have no use for one.

The pool guy was right about one thing. You hook the hot leads to the L1 & L2 lugs, the neutral to the N lug and the white pigtail to the neutral bar. You also hook the ground wire to the ground bar in the panel and to the ground lug in the SPA. Don't hook the neutral and ground together anywhere or you'll never get the GFI breaker to set. It will continously trip like you said it was doing.

Bama, Yesterday I had another spa guy out here to take a look. He bypassed the GFI in the spa control box, 50 amp still would not stay on. Then he unhooked the two pole circuit and the circuit breaker would stay on, he did not have a new two pole circuit though. So I contacted the spa company and they are trying to find one that will work in my spa. He feels certain this is what my problem is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.