Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading my existing FloTec Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading my existing FloTec Pump

He group, I thought I would throw this out for comments/discussion. I have a 1hp FloTec pump (AT251001) I bought from HD last year (you have to love the 10% military discount). It replaced a 1.5 hp Wayne that burnt up. Well the FloTec doesn't have enough juice to close the air breaker on my solar panels mounted on the second story roof and I keep getting air bubbles when on solar, not efficient. So, I bought a 1.5, 2 speed motor off of ebay (Emerson, $160.00) and should get it Friday. I will also be upgrading the impeller (ebay, $26.00) and diffuser (ebay $33.00) to the FloTec 1.5hp parts. The pump housing is the same on both the 1 and 1.5 so I don't see a problem with interchangability. Just wondering what everyone thinks. I'm thinking the upgrade will pay for itself in a few years time with energy savings and more efficient heating.

(Quick edit) I'll post some pictures of the process.
    USN Retired 1999
    I've cut the pipe twice and it's still too short.
    San Juan Phoenix IG, 14,400 gals, light blue, fiberglass, Hayward Colorlogic light with wet niche, Flotec 1hp single speed, Hayward S180T sand, Aqua Rite salt controller with Hayward T-15 cell, Helio - Matic solar controller with Jandy 3-way valve and actuator, 6 - 2x20 Sungrabber Solar panels, Torx timer with freeze protection, Brushed concrete with Cantilevered Edge, 6 inch inside perimeter ceramic tile. Taylor K-2005 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading my existing FloTec Pump

As lomg as the frame matches and the housings of both pumps are the same it should work fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Upgrading my existing FloTec Pump

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. The pump housing and base part numbers are the same for both and I know the motor flange is the same. We'll see!
    USN Retired 1999
    I've cut the pipe twice and it's still too short.
    San Juan Phoenix IG, 14,400 gals, light blue, fiberglass, Hayward Colorlogic light with wet niche, Flotec 1hp single speed, Hayward S180T sand, Aqua Rite salt controller with Hayward T-15 cell, Helio - Matic solar controller with Jandy 3-way valve and actuator, 6 - 2x20 Sungrabber Solar panels, Torx timer with freeze protection, Brushed concrete with Cantilevered Edge, 6 inch inside perimeter ceramic tile. Taylor K-2005 test kit.