anyone look into or build a all natural pool filtration syst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
It looks kinda interesting being used in Europe over twenty years,

it eliminates the use of chlorine's on your skin.

You are basically building a pond adjacent to your pool about 18" deep for plants, the plants act as your eco system, water is slowly pumped between the two.

Still using your pool pump to filter thru sand or cartridge the add ozone or UV, no chlorine.

the claims are as follows

The pool can look literally the same as any conventional pool but the water is sensationally soft and free of any of the side effects of chemical pools.

A new generation of natural water filters now allows us to purify water on a micro-biological basis.

The filter technology consists of units of powerful micro-biology filters below a gravel surface. They are powered by submerged, low voltage (12 Volt) pumps, you can use solar also
This means you don’t need any pump housing or winter maintenance for pumps.

There are plantings for every taste; ornamental, formal, lush, mono- or multi colored. You can use water lilies, Iris, Lotus, Cypress grasses etc. in submerged plant bowls, subtle plant niches, plant rows and circles

what do U folks think?

Re: anyone look into or build a all natural pool filtration

It is an interesting concept, however it lacks any obvious way to keep the pond portion in the correct balance. If you have tried pond maintenance, it is tricky art, prone to unsightly algae blooms (which would also be a health risk if connected to a pool) when you make a mistake. Essentially the pond might work as a biological filter or it might not and there is no straightforward way to measure if it is working or not, nor anything obvious to do if it is not working. It also lacks any way to prevent person to person disease transmission if more than one person is swimming around the same time.

Meanwhile, aside from having a beautiful pond to look at, which you can easily have without linking it to your pool, there are no real advantages to their approach. Their so called "side effects of chemical pools" are so minimal in a properly maintained pool that the great majority would be hard pressed to detect any difference at all. Essentially all of the annoying side effects of chlorine pools are easily avoided in outdoor pools and only really become issues for indoor pools, where a pond area wouldn't work anyway.

Submerged pumps can be a major hassle when they break, equally possible in a traditional pool but generally avoided for good reasons. Along similar lines, there is nothing preventing you from running an ordinary pool with solar, except that it is rather expensive, far more than using utility electricity if it is available.

Well I disagree about the harmful effect of chlorine in a pool.
there is enough documented to raise the question.

As to diease, I said you need ozone or UV sterilization, so that will absolutely resolve that issue.

I've keep ponds to balance the water is very easy, remember there's no fish here only plants

If you want to know if it's working you can have a bacteria count done, but to fair do one of a chlorine pool, it is not 100% pure

Well, you did ask what we think, so here's the deal. There is a good deal of pseudoscience out there supposedly supporting going chlorine free. What we think, since you asked and all, is that a pool without one of the three EPA approved sanitizers (chlorine, bromine, PMHB) is an unsafe pool. You may have what you think is proof to support going chlorine free on hand, but we have proof to the contrary. People die because they ended up catching a pathogen in their so-called pure water.

We teach what works and what is safe here for pools. I haven't heard of anyone dying from being exposed to a properly chlorinated pool. I have however heard of plenty of folks dying from being in water that was not properly sanitized. Go ahead and Google Naegleria fowleri if you feel as though you need an example.

I am going to go ahead and lock this thread because I see no reason to continue perpetuating the myth of a safe, sanitizer free pool since it does not coincide with our mission here at TFP.

Nova13 said:
As to diease, I said you need ozone or UV sterilization, so that will absolutely resolve that issue.
Not at all. Both ozone and UV will only deal with water that passes through the plumbing (where the ozone or UV system is), they do nothing to sterilize the bulk pool water in the short term, which is why I said "swimming around the same time".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.