Design phase - beach, tanning shelf, - need advice

dperque

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2013
Austin, TX
Ok, so we thought we had our design done - small (24X11) gunite pool, rectangle, spa, and a few steps the meander about and create seating - with a couple swim out benches at the "deep end" (5 ft).

Anyway, we looked at a pool recently with a "beach" (no slope to entry), but 6" deep shelf with bubblers. Now this is creeping into the design, but I'm afraid with my small pool, this is going to eat into my swimming area and possibly increase the temp of my water.

We have 2 very little kids that could make great use of the beach area, but it isn't like we can remove the beach when they get sick of it and want to swim and we are going to be in this house for a long time. I could maybe see putting some chairs in it, but you're not really going to be sitting "in" the water at that depth.

So my question is, should we do the large 6" beach, or maybe a deeper shelf area (12"-16") that would get more use over time, or just stick with the steps that double as benches (16" deep) and create more swimming area? I mean, after kids get older, how useful is a 6" beach area?

Thanks!

It is tricky to advise you, as tastes vary. Personally, I would never use a shallow beach area, but I know people who setup up lounge chairs and an umbrella in their beach area (they sit above water, but there is water below the lounger) and swear it is a wonderful thing :)

I think the chairs sitting in water is weird if your body isn't immersed. Just my opinion.

We have a 9-12 inch tanning ledge. I love it, nice cool place to sit, but not get my hair wet, but stay cool. However, it is hard to give up precious pool space for that. Benches are awesome too. On another notes, the tanking ledges are great places for adults too

Hemess said:
I think the chairs sitting in water is weird if your body isn't immersed. Just my opinion.

We have a 9-12 inch tanning ledge. I love it, nice cool place to sit, but not get my hair wet, but stay cool. However, it is hard to give up precious pool space for that. Benches are awesome too. On another notes, the tanking ledges are great places for adults too

I kinda feel like this too. So 9-12" - can you explain this to me? I take it there's a first step and then a sloped area from 9 to 12? Just trying to visualize.

thanks.

image_zps9307d126.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.