Colder water temp vs. Intellichor Salt level reading?

ultimate_ed

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2012
Manvel, TX
I see there are a number of posts regarding SWCG and winter temperatures, though I haven't quite found one that answers my situation.

This is my first winter with my pool. Being in Houston, I keep it "open" as we like to make use of the hot tub on occasion.

Here during the last month, the water temperature dropped down to around 50F during the weeks of cold we had in late Dec/early January. I understand the SWCG won't function at those temperatures and I've been hitting it with bleach (found 8.25% in a three pack at Sams) to keep chlorine levels up.

What I'm curious about is the salt level reading. Once I got my salt levels up after the fill, it had been pretty steady around 3600 through the fall. During this cold snap, which was accompanied by several heavy rains, my reading dropped to 1300.

Now, the water temperature is up to 65F, but the salt reading is only 1700. I know it took time for the reading to respond when I was adding bags of salt, so I'm wondering if that is what I'm going through now. I'm sure I didn't have enough overflow from the rains to dilute my salt levels that low (other tests like CYA have been holding pretty steady).

I've gone and ordered the Taylor salination test kit (which, surprisingly, the guys at the local pool supply stores hadn't even heard of, much less carried locally). - TFtestkits.com does have it, thankfully.

I guess my general question is what does water temperature impact the salinity reading? Is 65F still cold enough to give me a bad reading even though the generator itself would still be working? Or, should I just expect it to take a few more days for the reading to come back up to the 3000+ level I expect it should be?

Not an expert by any shot, my SWCG won't read below 50 and is kind of sketchy below 65.
I think your reading depends on how long your pump runs after adding salt as well as water temp due to taking longer to fully dissolve.
I'm sure your rainfall caused a partial drop in level but the colder water temps will take the salt longer to fully dissolve while circulating. (you should see how long it takes to dissolve stabilizer with below 60 water-5 full days with the pump running24/7)

Low temps will give an an artificially low salt level even if that temp is above the low cutoff for any given cell. I've heard unofficially the SWG folks say that your salt reading drops ~200 ppm for each 5° drop in temp. You could call Pentair to confirm.

What would I do? Manually dose with chlorine until the pool returns to "normal" swimming temps. The cold water and reduced sunlight should keep your chlorine demand at a minimum. I wouldn't add any salt until it's warmer. I know it's difficult not utilize equipment that you paid for but think of it this way....you are extending the life of your cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.