Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Colder water temp vs. Intellichor Salt level reading?

1. Back To Top    #1

Colder water temp vs. Intellichor Salt level reading?

I see there are a number of posts regarding SWCG and winter temperatures, though I haven't quite found one that answers my situation.

This is my first winter with my pool. Being in Houston, I keep it "open" as we like to make use of the hot tub on occasion.

Here during the last month, the water temperature dropped down to around 50F during the weeks of cold we had in late Dec/early January. I understand the SWCG won't function at those temperatures and I've been hitting it with bleach (found 8.25% in a three pack at Sams) to keep chlorine levels up.

What I'm curious about is the salt level reading. Once I got my salt levels up after the fill, it had been pretty steady around 3600 through the fall. During this cold snap, which was accompanied by several heavy rains, my reading dropped to 1300.

Now, the water temperature is up to 65F, but the salt reading is only 1700. I know it took time for the reading to respond when I was adding bags of salt, so I'm wondering if that is what I'm going through now. I'm sure I didn't have enough overflow from the rains to dilute my salt levels that low (other tests like CYA have been holding pretty steady).

I've gone and ordered the Taylor salination test kit (which, surprisingly, the guys at the local pool supply stores hadn't even heard of, much less carried locally). - TFtestkits.com does have it, thankfully.

I guess my general question is what does water temperature impact the salinity reading? Is 65F still cold enough to give me a bad reading even though the generator itself would still be working? Or, should I just expect it to take a few more days for the reading to come back up to the 3000+ level I expect it should be?
    Ed Klein
    My Backyard Setup with Pictures
    Pictures of my Build Process
    27,000 gallons total
    IG plaster pool with waterfall/slide and 10' OD hot tub
    SWCG - Pentair IC-40 with Easytouch 8 automation
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS filter pump with 150gpm cartridge filter
    Built Summer 2012 - Houston, Texas area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Colder water temp vs. Intellichor Salt level reading?

Not an expert by any shot, my SWCG won't read below 50 and is kind of sketchy below 65.
    I think your reading depends on how long your pump runs after adding salt as well as water temp due to taking longer to fully dissolve.
    I'm sure your rainfall caused a partial drop in level but the colder water temps will take the salt longer to fully dissolve while circulating. (you should see how long it takes to dissolve stabilizer with below 60 water-5 full days with the pump running24/7)
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Low temps will give an an artificially low salt level even if that temp is above the low cutoff for any given cell. I've heard unofficially the SWG folks say that your salt reading drops ~200 ppm for each 5 drop in temp. You could call Pentair to confirm.

What would I do? Manually dose with chlorine until the pool returns to "normal" swimming temps. The cold water and reduced sunlight should keep your chlorine demand at a minimum. I wouldn't add any salt until it's warmer. I know it's difficult not utilize equipment that you paid for but think of it this way....you are extending the life of your cell.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM