Hello everybody. My wife and I bought our first house last May. Sometime near the end of last summer, I swam in a relatives ABG Pool and had a blast (I never knew they could be so much fun -- I always thought they were vastly inferior to in-ground pools.) That day the pool bug bit me BAD, and I decided I had to have one; but, I didn't know anything about pools. I set about researching and found this site late last summer. Since then, everything I know about pools has come from TFP. Now, as spring approaches, I decided it was time to register on this site and start making some final decisions.
To that end, I would like some advice on what I should get with the pool. After reading and researching, I feel very confident that the 24' Sharkline Matrix is the right pool for me; however, when it comes to pumps, SWG's, even pool liners, I'm much less sure, and I don't want to make a mistake. Here is what I am looking at so far.
- 24' Sharkline Matrix - $1,501
- Pentair Clean & Clear 150 Sq' Cartridge Filter 1-1/2HP Dual Speed OptiFlo - $565
- Unibead Liner - $290
- Confer Plastics 7100B Evolution A-Frame Ladder - $141
- Aquabot Pool Rover Jr. Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner - $282
- Blue Solar Cover - $87
- Winter Pool Cover - $43
- Pentair Intelliclor IC15 - $435
As you can see, after I purchase various items to get the pool installed, I'm going to have invested at least $3,500 in this, so as the time gets close I'm getting a little gun-shy. I included the prices (all from Pool Supply World) because I want to know if I've 1) made the best choices for that pool and 2) am getting the most bang for my buck. If I could find a way to save some money somewhere I would gladly do it. In addition to hoping TFP members could review my shopping list, I have another list of questions I'm not sure about.
- The pump/filter combo. I'm VERY uneasy about this purchase. Something I read in pool school made me think that cartridge filters were the way to go, but I'm not sure. In addition, I wonder if the Sq. ft. are big enough for that pool...
- Do I want a Unibead liner? I know I don't want overlap. Weren't sure if there were other kinds. Is $290 a good price?
- Any other (cheaper) suggestions for a ladder? Will build a deck eventually, but not until next year.
- The pool cleaner. Will I hate life if I don't buy one of these? If I have to have one, is the Rover Jr. the way to go for the price? Seems EXPENSIVE.
- Good price on the solar cover and winter cover? (Not sure where else to check besides PoolSupplyWorld.)
- Any other suggestions for a SWG? I'd be excited to find one cheaper than $435 that would work for this pool. I know of lot of people use the Intex ones, but there are so many threads on TFP about people having trouble with them, I think I'd rather make the step up.
- Do I need to buy coving or a liner pad, or will sand do just fine? If I do a liner pad, do I have still have to put sand under the pool? Does anybody actually buy wall foam or is it a waste of money?
Thanks in advance for any help I get. It will not go unappreciated. I love this site. Going to become a TFP lifetime member the day I pull the trigger on buying the pool