Tile install on fiberglass pool

Nova13

Jan 23, 2013
I found a pool we like at fair price 10 x20, the manufacturer want $800 to do a tile waterline boarder in tile.

Sounded a bit high in cost.

As an avid DIY having done a lot of floor and bath tile over the years I think I can do it easily.

Question is what do I use to adhere the tiles to the glass, and what kind of grout.

You can also use epoxy grout and thinset. It is NOT easy for a first timer and I would not suggest it over the caulk but I thought I would mention it is available.....usually installed by a professional.

Nova13,

I just tiled my fiberglass pool about a month ago. Here is a link for the job that I did. new-pool-proj-flagstoning-around-and-on-my-fiberglass-pool-t40996.html

I purchased the tile as a kit from this company http://www.fiberglassswimmingpooltiling.com/ , but I would guess you could do it buying the supplies independently. They do offer a great "how to" FAQ and a list of what is required. It is just basic pool tile, silicone adhesive and silicone grout. The silicone they sell is labeled as being specifically for pool tile install but I imagine a high end silicone from an H.D might be comparable. The grouting process is pretty cool. I would have never guessed that putting a little dish detergent on the scrubby pad would allow you to clean it so easily and mike the finished surface so smooth. It really locks the tile in there very tight as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nova13,

I have two different type of silicone from the install and they are labelled:

A. Adhesive Sealant (Acetoxy Cure)
B. Grout (E-Z odor, Natural Cure)

Both are branded by R&R. Neither has any part numbers on it. There is a phone number for R&R, 858-621-9021, as well as for the company that I bought mine from, F.S.P. 352-746-6115.

thanks

found this on Acetoxy
As the name suggest, the by-product of cure is acetic acid. Most people carrying out DIY work on showers, baths and kitchens are familiar with acetoxy cure silicone sealants that give off the characteristic odour resembling strong vinegar. This family of sealants dominates the world of silicone sealants because of their extensive use as construction sealants in buildings in such applications as expansion joints, window installations, etc. However, the formation of acetic acid places a restriction on their use in applications where non-corrosion is a prerequisite.

Found it for $10 a tube http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00100028008627.htm?gclid=CNjS6v3jjrUCFQ45nAodh18AIA

Not sure what the other company sells it for that U bought from.

Looks readilly avail.

I wonder if I can use any type of tile not special pool tile?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.