Umbrella Sleeves - How to install in shotcrete??

Jan 24, 2013
Hello: I am new here but this forum is great! Thanks all! I have a existing gunite in-ground pool at our home and I am remodeling and upgrading it to add a baja shelf of 7' X 15' in the shallow end. I am a general contractor but have no experience with pools so I am learning. We have chipped the plaster off down to the gunite and tied steel to form the baja shelf and new steps which will be shotcreted in. My wife wants an umbrella sleeve in the center of this new baja shelf. I purchased a 7" long plastic sleeve w/ cover which is Aqua Star US101 (or US00-08 on body) but NO instructions or diagrams. I would like to know if this sleeve should be tied into the steel and shotcreted into place or if I should have them leave a pocket in the shotcrete and install this new sleeve with just the plaster holding it into that pocket.?? I did call Aqua Star and the tech was very nice but only said it could be done either way, whatever I want to do. I have no idea what is correct and the best proper way to do this. At what height is the sleeve itself set at? Does the main body of the sleeves top set flush with the shotcrete and the slide-in top portion install after plaster or what? Any help or drawings here would be much appreciated. Lance P.S. I tried to post a picture but it says file is too big & I don't know how to reduce it. It is 1.7MB ??

Welcome to TFP!
Since the manufacturer told you that you can do it either way, I guess the choice is yours. I would think that just embedding it in the shotcrete would be easier, but it's up to you. Make sure it's plumb!

If you haven't thought about sun angles, you should. Make sure that the sleeve (or sleeves, if you want more than one) are in a spot where they'll actually provide shade where you want it, when you want it there!

:wave: I'm pretty sure they just set ours in the shotcrete when they were installing it. I'm with Melt on the placement. Make sure you place them where they will be the most functional. We wish we had more sleeves in our shelf so depending on the lay out of your pool you might want to consider installing more sleeves. Dont forget to post pics! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.