Pool is too deep

Jan 6, 2013
Abilene, Texas
Our pool builder just shot gunite. The shallow end of the pool is much deeper than we wished at about 54 inches. We had asked for 42 inches. The pool builder says this is no problem at this point, that he will simply pour concrete over the gunite to raise the depth 6 inches in the shallow end. Is there a problem with doing this? Can we bring it up 12 inches which is close to the original spec?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Hmmmm. I am not a PB so I'll let others chime in but it seems to me that will have to be done very carefully. You will have a "cold joint" where the new concrete meets the old and that will have to be addressed.....usually with adequate rebar.

Certainly seems doable to whatever depth you want but it cannot be done carelessly.

Do you want 42" of water depth or 42" to top of coping? At 54" to top of coping you won't be far from 42" water depth.

I will say that we have a 52" pool (46" of water) and I wish it was deeper. If you have little ones that you're worried about, keep in mind that they grow up quickly and will want a deeper pool before long.

As for adding concrete over gunite, like the other Dave, I'll have to defer to the experts.

Welcome to tfp, justjoem :wave:

I also can not speak to the process of adding concrete...but I second what Bama said on the depth. 54 inches from bottom to the edge of the pool will usually mean a 48" deep pool, though it really depends on where the "height" of the skimmers is. If you measure the length down from the edge of the pool to the middle of the skimmer opening and subtract that from the pool edge to floor depth in the shallow end, that will be the typical depth of that end.

justjoem said:
It is 54 inches to mid skimmer. My wife is 5'7" and really doesn't want neck deep water in the shallow end.
Yeah that is deep...now I understand your desire to make it shallower. How deep is your deep end?

Bama Rambler said:
Hopefully one of the builders will have an opinion about adding the concrete over the gunite then.
Builders :whip:

linen said:
Yeah that is deep...now I understand your desire to make it shallower. How deep is your deep end?

It is just short of 9 feet at the deep end. The problem at the shallow end is compounded by the position of the entry stairs. The stairs are not at the end of the pool. They are 8 to 10 feet from the end and the water at the stairs is already 60 inches deep.

Here are the pictures. Thanks for taking a look and for your help.

IMG_4847-L.jpg

IMG_4846-L.jpg

IMG_4844-L.jpg

IMG_4845-L.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hemess said:
It is going to be a pretty pool. I can see how your shallow doesn't appear to be very shallow. Where are you located? I am in OK and your pictures look like you might live near.

I think it will be a pretty pool. The pool builder has been very helpful with the design and is trying to give us what we ask for. We are in Abilene, Texas. We moved here from McAlester, Oklahoma about 18 months ago. My son works at Tinker AFB. He lives just south of the base in Oklahoma City which makes him your neighbor.

Does anyone have experience in fixing a problem like this? The pool builder is suggesting that the floor in the shallow end can be raised 10 inches with concrete alone. He is not planning on using rebar other than drilling some holes in the gunite and placing rebar stubs near the seams. He says the rebar that is within the gunite is all that is necessary structurally. He says that he has done several such remodels and has not had problems.

He's probably right about not needing the rebar for structure and pinning the joints is a good idea. I would, however, request that they use fiber in the concrete. It doesn't cost a lot and it helps with cracking. He may be planning on doing that anyway.

Bama Rambler said:
He's probably right about not needing the rebar for structure and pinning the joints is a good idea. I would, however, request that they use fiber in the concrete. It doesn't cost a lot and it helps with cracking. He may be planning on doing that anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will ask him about it.

Is this going to be specifically addressed anywhere in the warranty?
However you proceed it needs to be covered in the warranty, if he's a good guy and confident in the solution I can't see why he'd have a problem ackowleding it in writing.

cramar said:
Is this going to be specifically addressed anywhere in the warranty?
However you proceed it needs to be covered in the warranty, if he's a good guy and confident in the solution I can't see why he'd have a problem ackowleding it in writing.
There is a five year structural warranty. He seems confident it will last 5 years.

justjoem said:
He seems confident it will last 5 years.

.....he's seems confident it will last up to the point of warranty expiration? Okaaaaaay, so he's confident that he's covered.

Not trying to stress you out, I have absolutly no experience with this sort of thing, none.
But I've followed a few builds on this forum where things got sideways on an install.

Just make sure that your ok with whatever happens, don't get pressured into anything, putting a temporary stop to things is not the end of the world.

The pool builder has decided to use Gunite to raise the pool floor level. They are going to spray the Gunite overlay in about two weeks on the same day they Gunite another pool in the area. I'm not sure why, but I like the idea of fixing the problem with Gunite better than using poured concrete. Work is moving ahead on the coping, decking, and landscaping features. I will post more pictures when the overlay is sprayed.

Please do show the pictures! Glad to hear it's being taken care of. Structural problems with gunite pools are pretty rare, and those that we do see are usually related to unstable ground conditions. I wouldn't worry about the stability if I were you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.