Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool is too deep

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool is too deep

Our pool builder just shot gunite. The shallow end of the pool is much deeper than we wished at about 54 inches. We had asked for 42 inches. The pool builder says this is no problem at this point, that he will simply pour concrete over the gunite to raise the depth 6 inches in the shallow end. Is there a problem with doing this? Can we bring it up 12 inches which is close to the original spec?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool is too deep

Welcome to the forum. Hmmmm. I am not a PB so I'll let others chime in but it seems to me that will have to be done very carefully. You will have a "cold joint" where the new concrete meets the old and that will have to be addressed.....usually with adequate rebar.

Certainly seems doable to whatever depth you want but it cannot be done carelessly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you want 42" of water depth or 42" to top of coping? At 54" to top of coping you won't be far from 42" water depth.

I will say that we have a 52" pool (46" of water) and I wish it was deeper. If you have little ones that you're worried about, keep in mind that they grow up quickly and will want a deeper pool before long.

As for adding concrete over gunite, like the other Dave, I'll have to defer to the experts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, justjoem

I also can not speak to the process of adding concrete...but I second what Bama said on the depth. 54 inches from bottom to the edge of the pool will usually mean a 48" deep pool, though it really depends on where the "height" of the skimmers is. If you measure the length down from the edge of the pool to the middle of the skimmer opening and subtract that from the pool edge to floor depth in the shallow end, that will be the typical depth of that end.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. It is 58 inches to the top of the gunite. There is no coping yet. It is 54 inches to mid skimmer. My wife is 5'7" and really doesn't want neck deep water in the shallow end.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hopefully one of the builders will have an opinion about adding the concrete over the gunite then.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by justjoem
    It is 54 inches to mid skimmer. My wife is 5'7" and really doesn't want neck deep water in the shallow end.
    Yeah that is deep...now I understand your desire to make it shallower. How deep is your deep end?

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Hopefully one of the builders will have an opinion about adding the concrete over the gunite then.
    Builders
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Yeah that is deep...now I understand your desire to make it shallower. How deep is your deep end?
    It is just short of 9 feet at the deep end. The problem at the shallow end is compounded by the position of the entry stairs. The stairs are not at the end of the pool. They are 8 to 10 feet from the end and the water at the stairs is already 60 inches deep.

9. Back To Top    #9

Photos would help.

10. Back To Top    #10

Here are the pictures. Thanks for taking a look and for your help.

11. Back To Top    #11

It is going to be a pretty pool. I can see how your shallow doesn't appear to be very shallow. Where are you located? I am in OK and your pictures look like you might live near.
    28,000 IG, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG with SPA,
    Intellichlor/VS Pentair
    Norman, OK

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Hemess
    It is going to be a pretty pool. I can see how your shallow doesn't appear to be very shallow. Where are you located? I am in OK and your pictures look like you might live near.
    I think it will be a pretty pool. The pool builder has been very helpful with the design and is trying to give us what we ask for. We are in Abilene, Texas. We moved here from McAlester, Oklahoma about 18 months ago. My son works at Tinker AFB. He lives just south of the base in Oklahoma City which makes him your neighbor.

13. Back To Top    #13

Does anyone have experience in fixing a problem like this? The pool builder is suggesting that the floor in the shallow end can be raised 10 inches with concrete alone. He is not planning on using rebar other than drilling some holes in the gunite and placing rebar stubs near the seams. He says the rebar that is within the gunite is all that is necessary structurally. He says that he has done several such remodels and has not had problems.

14. Back To Top    #14

He's probably right about not needing the rebar for structure and pinning the joints is a good idea. I would, however, request that they use fiber in the concrete. It doesn't cost a lot and it helps with cracking. He may be planning on doing that anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    He's probably right about not needing the rebar for structure and pinning the joints is a good idea. I would, however, request that they use fiber in the concrete. It doesn't cost a lot and it helps with cracking. He may be planning on doing that anyway.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will ask him about it.

16. Back To Top    #16

Is this going to be specifically addressed anywhere in the warranty?
    However you proceed it needs to be covered in the warranty, if he's a good guy and confident in the solution I can't see why he'd have a problem ackowleding it in writing.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Is this going to be specifically addressed anywhere in the warranty?
    However you proceed it needs to be covered in the warranty, if he's a good guy and confident in the solution I can't see why he'd have a problem ackowleding it in writing.
    There is a five year structural warranty. He seems confident it will last 5 years.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by justjoem
    He seems confident it will last 5 years.
    .....he's seems confident it will last up to the point of warranty expiration? Okaaaaaay, so he's confident that he's covered.

Not trying to stress you out, I have absolutly no experience with this sort of thing, none.
    But I've followed a few builds on this forum where things got sideways on an install.

Just make sure that your ok with whatever happens, don't get pressured into anything, putting a temporary stop to things is not the end of the world.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

19. Back To Top    #19

The pool builder has decided to use Gunite to raise the pool floor level. They are going to spray the Gunite overlay in about two weeks on the same day they Gunite another pool in the area. I'm not sure why, but I like the idea of fixing the problem with Gunite better than using poured concrete. Work is moving ahead on the coping, decking, and landscaping features. I will post more pictures when the overlay is sprayed.

20. Back To Top    #20

Please do show the pictures! Glad to hear it's being taken care of. Structural problems with gunite pools are pretty rare, and those that we do see are usually related to unstable ground conditions. I wouldn't worry about the stability if I were you.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast