Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combined Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1
    Austin, TX

Combined Chlorine

Does it "come and go" for any particular reason? I add about 12 oz. of Clorox about every other day (during "winter"), and my FC stays above 7. After I add 5 drops of "003", one day it will stay clear, the next it might turn slightly pink. Less than "1" CC, and usually "0". My pH tends to stay high (or move up), never getting below 7.5, even adding 12 oz. MA at least once a week. Just curious if this is "normal".

Sure glad I "fired" the pool guy 6 months ago... probably not costing me $5/mo. during the cool season.... and water stays crystal clear, hanks to all the great info here!
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Combined Chlorine

Especially during winter when the sun isn't as strong to help burn off the CC's you may see a slight amount from time to time. As long as it stays below 1 ppm don't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Combined Chlorine

I see that all the time. Tends to get worse when it's been windy or raining and stuff gets blown in the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!